Electric charge and electric field

In summary, a positive point charge q lies on the positive y-axis, a distance y from the origin. The force (magnitude and direction) that the charge distribution exerts on q is proportional to y^-3 for y>>a. A positive point charge q lies on the positive x-axis, a distance x>a from the origin. The force (magnitude and direction) that the charge distribution exerts on q is proportional to x^-3 for x>>a.
adrian116
Positive charge +Q is distributed uniformly along the +x-axis from x=0 to x=a. Negative charge -Q is distributed uniformly along the -x-axis from x=0 to x=-a.
a). A positive point charge q lies on the positive y-axis, a distance y from the origin. Find the force (magnitude and direction) that the positive and negative charge distributions together exert on q. Show that this force is proportional to y^-3 for y>>a.
b). Suppose instead that the positive point charge q lies on the positive x-axis, a distance x>a from the origin. Find the force (magnitude and direction) that the charge distribution exerts on q. Show that this force is proportional to x^-3 for x>>a.

my problem is that should i use integral to work out it?
is the the force from +Q and -Q act on q change with the distance between them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you'll need an integration. Use coulomb's law, but in terms of elements:

[tex]\vec{dF}= \frac{q dQ}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^2}\hat r[/tex]

Sorry if the tex messes up, it's my first go.

Then figure out dQ in terms of the charge density, r in terms of x and y, and [itex]\hat r[/itex] in terms of r, x and y. Integrate up from 0 to a, then from -a to 0, with a change of sign for Q. Then use a taylor expansion for the next bit.

how to make [itex]\hat r[/itex] in terms of r, x and y
and why I need to use vector form?

You need vectors as each element of the force acts in a slightly different direction, as they come from different points on the x axis. As for the vector [itex]\hat r[/itex], it is along the line r, so it is just (-x, y)/r, for positive x and (x,y)/r for negative x, dividing by r to make it a unit vector. Remember to use r in terms of x and y when you integrate. You'll also need to integrate twice, one for F_x, one for F_y.

Is [tex]\vec{dF}= \frac{q dQ}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^2}\(\vec{i}+\vec{j})[/tex]
to be integrated directly in terms of vector?
or find the magnitude of [tex]\vec{i}+\vec{j}[/tex] first?

adrian116 said:

Your expression for [tex]d\vec{F}[/tex] is not correct. Why (i+j)?

What you could do, as Tomsk said, is find the force due to an infinitesimal length of the charge distribution, then find the Electric Field vector (and thus the force) at a point on the y-axis, split the force into it's components (x&y) and finally integrate each component separately.
Also remember that [itex]r[/itex] can be written in terms of [itex]x,y[/itex].

I also advise you to draw a sketch of the situation, if you haven't already done so. Visualising a problem correctly can go a long way in solving it.

Last edited:
adrian116 said:

You don't integrate in terms of vectors, you do one for each component, although there is a way to save some time, think about the forces in the y direction, and how the fields from the +Q and -Q distributions add...

The magnitude of [tex]\vec{i}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{j}[/tex] should be set to one by dividing each by the length r. You integrate with respect to dx, so you need to get everything in terms of x and y.

i got it, i got the answer~
thx for helping~!

I know this is really old, but could anyone guide me into how I should attack this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Related to Electric charge and electric field

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a physical property of particles that causes them to experience a force in the presence of an electric field. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in coulombs (C).

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by electric charges and can be represented by electric field lines.

3. How are electric charge and electric field related?

Electric charge and electric field are closely related, as electric charges create electric fields and are affected by them. The strength of an electric field is determined by the amount of charge present and the distance between charges.

4. How does an object become charged?

An object becomes charged when it gains or loses electrons. If an object gains electrons, it becomes negatively charged, and if it loses electrons, it becomes positively charged.

5. What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity refers to the buildup of electric charges on an object that do not flow. Current electricity, on the other hand, involves the continuous flow of electric charges through a conductor. Static electricity is typically associated with objects, while current electricity is associated with circuits.