Electric cable in a Vertical Tube: Estimate the Conductor Temperature

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the temperature that a vertical steel tube will reach when exposed to sun radiation. The equations used are QCable+Qsun-Qradiated=mc(Tfinal-TAmbient) and QRadiated=k.A.(Tfinal^4-TAmbient^4), with known values for QSun, A, K, m, and c. The maximum temperature for the tube in a day is found by solving a quartic equation, and the temperature for the conductor after 86400 seconds is calculated by dividing QCable by the thermal mass. The speaker is struggling to find accurate results and is seeking help.
stevekho
Hello,

I have an electric cable in a vertical steel Tube. I estimated the temperature that will reach the JTube exposed to sun radiation.

I came with these equations

QCable+ Qsun - Qradiated = mc( Tfinal - TAmbient)

where QRadiated= k.A.(Tfinal^4-TAmbient^4), QSun=234 [W/m^2] * A
A=Area of the Tube
K=Radiation constant= 4E-8
m=Mass of the tube
c=473 for steel

I finally find for a day the maximum Temp that will reach the Tube ( Resolved a quartic Equation with Tfinal as an unknown knowing that Tambient=34 for instance )

However I want to know what temperature will reach the conductor ( after a day =86400 Secs)

What I thought was

For each t ( from 0 to 86400 secs)

QCable = mc( Tfinal - TAmbient) - Qsun + Qradiated

For each t, I know the right side. I Find QCable and then Divide it by the Thermal Mass to find the Temperature :/

However I find extremely large Results so I think it might be wrong ( it shouldn't be bigger that 90 Degrees)

Hope someone will be able to help me because I am really losing Hope...

Thank you very much Guys

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooooooook I found it :)

Related to Electric cable in a Vertical Tube: Estimate the Conductor Temperature

1. What is the purpose of estimating the conductor temperature in an electric cable in a vertical tube?

The purpose of estimating the conductor temperature is to ensure that the cable is not operating at a temperature that could cause damage or affect its performance. It also helps in determining the appropriate size and type of cable to be used in a given situation.

2. How is the conductor temperature estimated in an electric cable in a vertical tube?

The conductor temperature can be estimated using a variety of mathematical equations and calculations based on factors such as the current flow, ambient temperature, and cable properties. These calculations can be done manually or with the help of computer software.

3. What factors can affect the conductor temperature in an electric cable in a vertical tube?

The ambient temperature, current flow, type of cable and its insulation, and the presence of any external heat sources can all affect the conductor temperature in an electric cable in a vertical tube. Other factors such as the cable's installation conditions and surrounding environment may also play a role.

4. How can the conductor temperature be controlled in an electric cable in a vertical tube?

The conductor temperature can be controlled by using cables with appropriate size and insulation for the given conditions. Other methods include using external cooling systems, regulating the current flow, and ensuring proper installation and maintenance of the cable.

5. Why is it important to accurately estimate the conductor temperature in an electric cable in a vertical tube?

Accurately estimating the conductor temperature is crucial in preventing potential hazards such as overheating, insulation degradation, and fire. It also ensures the efficient and optimal performance of the cable, leading to cost savings and improved safety in the long run.