Electric and Magnetic Field lines

In summary: Is the strength of the force determined by the... magnitude of the force?Yes, magnitude of the force.
kilnvzol

Homework Statement

The figure shows crossed uniform electric and magnetic fields and, at a certain instant, the velocity vectors of the 10 charged particles listed in the table. (The vectors are not drawn to scale.) The speeds given in the table are either less than or greater than E/B (see Question 1). Which particles will move out of the page toward you after the instant shown in the figure? (Several choices may be correct.)
image102120141454.png

28-cq-03.gif

Homework Equations

Right/Left Hand Rule (RHR) & (LHR)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what I'm missing because based on the RHR and LHR 1 and 2 are going out of the page, 3-6 are going into and 7-10 are 0, I think.
It said my answer was wrong when I just put 1&2.
Please help I only have one attempt left and I really don't understand. ;-;

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many of your answers are incorrect. It appears to me that you might be neglecting the force due to the electric field and also neglecting the fact that some of the particles have negative charge.

For example, can you explain in detail how you conclude that particle 1 will move out of page?

TSny said:
Many of your answers are incorrect. It appears to me that you might be neglecting the force due to the electric field and also neglecting the fact that some of the particles have negative charge.

For example, can you explain in detail how you conclude that particle 1 will move out of page?
Isn't the magnetic field, B, the finger tips and the thumb the current or velocity vectors and the palm tells where the force is coming out of? And RHR is for positive charge and LHR is for negative charge?

So since the charge is positive you use the RHR and since the magnetic field is going left you point your right hand fingers to the left of the page and you point your thumb toward the top of the page and you get the force going out of the page?

Yes, that's right for the B field. But what about the force from the E field?

TSny said:
Yes, that's right for the B field. But what about the force from the E field?
Would they all be going into the page?

Does the direction of the electric force depend on the sign of the charge?

TSny said:
Does the direction of the electric force depend on the sign of the charge?
Yes, because whatever direction the force is for one charge it should be the opposite for the other. So if 3 was into 5 should be out of.

Yes. So, let's check your work for particle 1. What is the direction of the electric force? What is the direction of the magnetic force? And what is the direction of the net force?

TSny said:
Yes. So, let's check your work for particle 1. What is the direction of the electric force? What is the direction of the magnetic force? And what is the direction of the net force?
The electric force goes into the page
The magnetic force goes to the left of the page.
The net force goes into the page?

kilnvzol said:
The electric force goes into the page
Yes
The magnetic force goes to the left of the page.
No. Use the RHR.

TSny said:
Yes

No. Use the RHR.
Is it going to the right of the page?

kilnvzol said:
Is it going to the right of the page?
In what direction did you point your fingers and in what direction did you point your thumb?

TSny said:
In what direction did you point your fingers and in what direction did you point your thumb?
I pointed my fingers into the page and thumb to the top of the page.

kilnvzol said:
I pointed my fingers into the page
Point your fingers in the direction of the B field.
and thumb to the top of the page.
Yes.

TSny said:
Point your fingers in the direction of the B field.

Yes.
So its out of the page?

Yes, the magnetic force is out of the page. So, next you need to determine the direction of the net force.

TSny said:
Yes, the magnetic force is out of the page. So, next you need to determine the direction of the net force.
Would the electric force and the magnetic force cancel for the net force?

kilnvzol said:
Would the electric force and the magnetic force cancel for the net force?
If the magnetic force happened to be stronger than the electric force, what would be the direction of the net force?

How are you going to decide which force is stronger for particle 1? Have you used all of the information in the table?

TSny said:
If the magnetic force happened to be stronger than the electric force, what would be the direction of the net force?

How are you going to decide which force is stronger for particle 1? Have you used all of the information in the table?
Is the strength of the force determined by the speed?

kilnvzol said:
Is the strength of the force determined by the speed?
For one of the forces the force is related to the speed. For the other force it isn't.

TSny said:
For one of the forces the force is related to the speed. For the other force it isn't.
The magnetic force is?

Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
So only 2 and 6 are going out of the page?

I agree that 2 and 6 have net force out of the page. But they aren't the only ones with net force out of the page.

TSny said:
I agree that 2 and 6 have net force out of the page. But they aren't the only ones with net force out of the page.
Are 7-10 also included or is their magnetic force 0?

Right, the magnetic force is zero for 7-10. So, you only need to consider the electric force for these.

TSny said:
Right, the magnetic force is zero for 7-10. So, you only need to consider the electric force for these.
The electric force is into for all of them?

No. Don't forget to take account of the sign of the electric charge of the particle.

TSny said:
No. Don't forget to take account of the sign of the electric charge of the particle.
So 9 and 10 too?

Yes, 9 and 10 will have a net force out of the page.

So far, I think you have 2, 6, 9, and 10 out of the page. Any others out of the page?

TSny said:
Yes, 9 and 10 will have a net force out of the page.

So far, I think you have 2, 6, 9, and 10 out of the page. Any others out of the page?
Is 5 also included?

Last edited:
Yes!

TSny said:
Yes!
Thank you so much! :D

OK. I am old and prone to errors!
So of course the responsibility is yours for double checking the answers.

Related to Electric and Magnetic Field lines

1. What are electric and magnetic field lines?

Electric and magnetic field lines are visual representations of the direction and strength of electric and magnetic fields, respectively. They are used to describe the behavior of these fields in space.

2. How are electric and magnetic field lines different?

Electric field lines represent the direction and strength of an electric field, while magnetic field lines represent the direction and strength of a magnetic field. Electric field lines originate from positive charges and terminate at negative charges, while magnetic field lines form closed loops around a current.

3. How do electric and magnetic field lines interact?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can interact with each other. A changing electric field can create a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can create an electric field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. How can electric and magnetic field lines be used in practical applications?

Electric and magnetic field lines are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. They are also important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

5. Can electric and magnetic field lines be seen?

Electric and magnetic field lines are not physical objects that can be seen with the naked eye. However, they can be visualized using special instruments such as field line mapping tools or through computer simulations. They are also often represented in diagrams and illustrations to help understand their behavior.