Electic Flux through a cube Why am I getting a value?

In summary, a cubical Gaussian surface is placed in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 5.0 * 10^8 N/C. The surface has a length of 1.0 m on each edge and the electric field passes through the left and right sides of the cube, perpendicular to the surface. The total electric flux through the surface is zero N•m2/C, as the normals of the surface point in opposite directions for each face, resulting in a cancellation of the electric flux.
Tautomer22

Homework Statement

A cubical Gaussian surface is placed in a uniform electric field as shown in the figure to the right. The length of each edge of the cube is 1.0 m. The uniform electric field has a magnitude of 5.0 * 10^8 N/C and passes through the left and right sides of the cube perpendicular to the surface. What is the total electric flux that passes through the cubical Gaussian surface?

http://www.ahsd.org/science/stroyan/APPhysics/CH15/estat/f18051.jpg A. 5.0 ´ 108 N•m2/C
B. 3.0 ´ 109 N•m2/C
C. 2.5 ´ 106 N•m2/C
D. 1.5 ´ 107 N•m2/C
E. zero N•m2/C

Homework Equations

I realize that electric flux is ƩE*Cos∅*ΔA = q/permitivity of free space

My physics books states that the angle in question is the difference in degrees between the NORMAL of the surface and the electric field.

In the case of a cube here, I would assume the two faces to which the electric field is perpendicular would thus have cos (0) or a value 1 which would reduce the electric flux to: ƩE*ΔA

So, there should be two sides that would give me some sort of value.

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply followed the equation through for one side and got an electric flu equal to the magnitude of the elecrtic field with a m^2 valued tacked on to it. This is answer A here.

However,the correct answer is apparently E, or an electric flux of 0. I do not understand this, because I don't see how the electric field could be 90 degrees to the normal of the cube surface for every face shown, since at least 2 of the faces need to have a value for the electric flux.

Could someone please help me? I have this gnawing feeling that I'm missing something extremely simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tautomer22 said:

Homework Statement

A cubical Gaussian surface is placed in a uniform electric field as shown in the figure to the right. The length of each edge of the cube is 1.0 m. The uniform electric field has a magnitude of 5.0 * 10^8 N/C and passes through the left and right sides of the cube perpendicular to the surface. What is the total electric flux that passes through the cubical Gaussian surface?

http://www.ahsd.org/science/stroyan/APPhysics/CH15/estat/f18051.jpg

A. 5.0 ´ 108 N•m2/C
B. 3.0 ´ 109 N•m2/C
C. 2.5 ´ 106 N•m2/C
D. 1.5 ´ 107 N•m2/C
E. zero N•m2/C

Homework Equations

I realize that electric flux is ƩE*Cos∅*ΔA = q/permitivity of free space

My physics books states that the angle in question is the difference in degrees between the NORMAL of the surface and the electric field.

In the case of a cube here, I would assume the two faces to which the electric field is perpendicular would thus have cos (0) or a value 1 which would reduce the electric flux to: ƩE*ΔA

So, there should be two sides that would give me some sort of value.

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply followed the equation through for one side and got an electric flu equal to the magnitude of the elecrtic field with a m^2 valued tacked on to it. This is answer A here.

However,the correct answer is apparently E, or an electric flux of 0. I do not understand this, because I don't see how the electric field could be 90 degrees to the normal of the cube surface for every face shown, since at least 2 of the faces need to have a value for the electric flux.

Could someone please help me? I have this gnawing feeling that I'm missing something extremely simple.

Hi Tautomer22. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Keep in mind that normals are vector quantities and have direction. While one of those outward-facing normals will point along the +x-axis, the other will point in the opposite direction...

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
Hi Tautomer22. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Keep in mind that normals are vector quantities and have direction..

I was unclear on this point, thank you so much gneil! That solves the whole issue for me. I knew I was missing a basic idea here, and I wasn't deducing it from solutions to similar problems (alas).

Related to Electic Flux through a cube Why am I getting a value?

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m²).

How is electric flux calculated through a cube?

To calculate electric flux through a cube, you can use the formula Φ = E∙A∙cosθ, where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the cube, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the cube's surface.

Why is the value of electric flux through a cube important?

The value of electric flux through a cube is important because it helps us understand the strength and direction of the electric field passing through the surface of the cube. This information is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, such as designing electrical circuits and studying electromagnetic phenomena.

What factors can affect the value of electric flux through a cube?

The value of electric flux through a cube can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the electric field, the area and orientation of the cube, and the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the cube's surface.

Why am I getting a different value for electric flux through a cube than expected?

If you are getting a different value for electric flux through a cube than expected, it could be due to human error in calculations, inaccurate measurements of the electric field or area, or other external factors such as interference from nearby electric fields. Double-check your calculations and measurements to ensure accuracy.