Elastic Restoring Force- Spring Constant

In summary, the problem involves a bug with a mass of 0.20g falling into a spider's web and causing vibrations with a dominant frequency of 18 Hz. The task is to find the corresponding spring constant using four equations, with the correct answer being 2.6 N/m. The individual discussing the problem initially had difficulty understanding the units of the spring constant, but eventually solved the problem by converting the mass to kilograms and plugging in the frequency for T in the equation. The final answer was 2.5582~2.6N/m.
~Callaway~

Homework Statement

A bug having a mass of 0.20g falls into a spider's web, setting it into vibration with a dominant frequency of 18 Hz. Find the corresponding spring constant.

Homework Equations

1. f=[tex]\frac{1}{T}[/tex]

2. [tex]\omega[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]f

3. [natural angular frequency], [tex]\omega[/tex]0=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

4. [natural linear frequency], f0=[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex]*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was to plug the mass in for m and the frequency in for f0 and then solve for k in equation 4, but I am getting an answer very different from the given answer, which is 2.6 N/m. My main question is on the units of the spring constant, I think I am missing just where this unit arises from, and I think I should be able to solve the problem if I can understand that, but I must be missing something. I would very much appreciate any thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Addendum: continued working and solved problem, but here is answer in case anybody else on this forum has a similar problem/issue.

To calculate spring constant from frequency and mass:

Start with equation T=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/tex]

Use algebra to solve for k, k=4[tex]\pi2[/tex]*m*T2

Know that T is frequency, so plug in Hz for T and be sure to convert mass to kilograms..

Giving final answer of 2.5582~2.6N/m

Related to Elastic Restoring Force- Spring Constant

1. What is the elastic restoring force?

The elastic restoring force is a force that acts on an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of conservative force that always acts to restore the object to its original shape or position.

2. What is a spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant or stiffness coefficient, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is a constant value that relates the force applied to a spring to the displacement of the spring.

3. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This ratio is also known as the spring's stiffness.

4. What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by various factors, such as the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the temperature. The spring constant also depends on the direction in which the force is applied and the distance over which the force is exerted.

5. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the frequency of oscillation?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the frequency of oscillation. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency of oscillation also increases, and vice versa.