Elastic Recovery and Permanent Set

• Thread starter waltonhcky05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic Set
In summary, the conversation discusses a stress strain diagram for a sample of steel with specific dimensions and a loading of 70ksi. The question asks for the amount of elastic recovery and permanent elongation, and the solution involves drawing a line with the same slope as the modulus of elasticity and finding the x-intercept. The confusion lies in which line to use on the graph and from what point on the curve to draw the new line. The bottom curve is a magnified version of the top curve in the x-direction, which may provide insight into solving the problem.
waltonhcky05
I'm given a stress strain diagram for a sample of steel that has an original diameter of 0.5in and a gauge length of 2in. The sample is loaded to 70ksi and the question asks for the amount of elastic recovery and permanent elongation of the sample. The actual graph is shown below...

312.jpg

I know that I would need to draw a line that is of the same slope as modulus of elasticity to find the elastic recovery and permanent set. Where the permanent set is just the x intercept of that new line, but what's confusing me is the two lines shown on the graph and which one I should be using to draw this new line. Also, once I find out which line I should be using, from what point on the curve should I actually draw the new line from?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone offer any insight into how to solve this?

The bottom curve is showing a magnified version of the top curve in the x-direction. Does this help?

Related to Elastic Recovery and Permanent Set

What is elastic recovery?

Elastic recovery is the ability of a material to return to its original shape and size after being subjected to a deformation or stress.

What is permanent set?

Permanent set is the amount of deformation that remains in a material after the stress or force causing it has been removed. It is a measure of the permanent or irreversible deformation in a material.

How is elastic recovery and permanent set measured?

Elastic recovery and permanent set are typically measured by subjecting a material to a specific stress or force, and then measuring the amount of deformation that remains after the stress is removed. This can be done using specialized equipment such as tensile testing machines.

What factors affect elastic recovery and permanent set?

The amount of elastic recovery and permanent set in a material can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, the amount of stress or force applied, the duration of the stress, and the temperature at which the material is tested.

Why is elastic recovery and permanent set important?

Elastic recovery and permanent set are important properties to consider when designing and using materials. They can affect the overall performance, durability, and reliability of a material, and can also impact its ability to withstand repeated use and stress over time.