Elastic potential energy question

In summary, the potential energy stored in the slingshot's rubber band can be calculated using the formula U = mgy, where m is the mass of the pebble, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and y is the height the pebble is able to reach. This potential energy is equal to the gravitational potential energy of the pebble. Assuming there is no dissipation, the elastic energy is also equal to the amount of kinetic energy imparted to the pebble, enabling it to rise 22.0 units. If the distance from the stretched point to the relaxed point of the slingshot and the k constant are given, the same answer can be obtained. Additionally, the speed of the pebble as it comes
Qred
A slingshot will shoot a 10-g pebble 22.0 straight up. How much potential energy is stored in the slingshot's rubber band?

the solution is U = mgy = (10 g)(9.8 m/s^2)(22.0 m) according to the book.

does this mean the potential energy of the slingshot's rubber band is equal to the gravitational potential energy of the pebble? does it also mean the speed of the ball as it comes down is equal to its speed driven by the elastic potential energy of the slingshot's rubber band given air resistance is negligible? i don't get the solution since getting the "U sub el" requires distance from point where the rubber is stretched to the point where it is relaxed times the "k" constant and 1/2. i don't know how to get "k" and "how far it is stretched". yet the solution suggests otherwise. please enlighten me with this problem...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming there is no dissipation (i.e. the rubber band doesn't heat up, no air resistance, etc), then you are correct. The elastic energy is equal to the amount of kinetic energy imparted to the pebble, enabling it to rise 22.0 (units?).

Andy Resnick said:
Assuming there is no dissipation (i.e. the rubber band doesn't heat up, no air resistance, etc), then you are correct. The elastic energy is equal to the amount of kinetic energy imparted to the pebble, enabling it to rise 22.0 (units?).

what if we can get the distance from the stretched point to the relaxed point of the slingshot and the k constant is given, can we get the same answer? also, could you please answer the 2nd question in my first post? thanks

Last edited:
never mind..it's crystal clear now. thanks a lot!

Related to Elastic potential energy question

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed elastic material, such as a spring or rubber band. When the material is stretched or compressed, it stores potential energy that can be released when the material returns to its original shape.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is the elastic potential energy in joules, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and x is the displacement of the material from its equilibrium position in meters.

3. What is the relationship between force and elastic potential energy?

The amount of elastic potential energy stored in a material is directly proportional to the amount of force applied to the material. This means that the more force applied, the more the material will stretch or compress and the more potential energy it will store.

4. How does elastic potential energy relate to work?

Work is done when a force is applied to a material and causes it to stretch or compress. This work is stored as elastic potential energy in the material. When the material returns to its original shape, the potential energy is released and the work is recovered.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic potential energy?

Some examples of elastic potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a bungee cord, and a trampoline. These objects all store elastic potential energy when they are stretched or compressed and release it when they return to their original shape.