Elastic Potential Energy and the Spring Constant

In summary, the spring constant of the spring in the first scenario is 392000 N/m and the maximum height reached by the dart in the second scenario is 6 m.
Soaring Crane
1) A 60 kg person drops from rest a distance of 1.20 m to a platform of negligible mass supported by a stiff spring. The platform drops 6 cm before the person comes to rest. What is the spring constant of spring?

a.4.12E5-------b. 2.56E5---------c. 3.92E5--------d. 5.45E4----e. 8.83E4

I don’t know if I did this setup correctly, but I got c. as my answer. Please tell me if my equations are incorrect or if I neglected another energy quantity.

U2 = U1

Mgh2 + (k*x_2^2)/2 = mgh1 + (k*x_1^2)/2
(k*x_2^2)/2 = mgh1

k = (2mgh)/(x^2) = (2*9.80 m/s^2*1.20 m)/(0.06 m)^2 = 392000 N/m

2) A spring-loaded dart gun is used to shoot a dart straight up into the air, and the dart reaches a maximum height of 24 m. The same dart is shot up a second time from the same gun, but this time the spring is compressed only half as far (compared to first hot). How far up does dart go this time (neglect friction and assume spring obeys Hooke’s law)?

a.48 m---------b. 12 m---------c. 6 m------------d. 3m

I followed the same format as in #1, so, if that is wrong, this would be, too.

(k*x_2^2)/2 = mgh

at 24 m, h = (k*x^2)/(2mg) = 24 m

when x = x/2, h = (k*x^2)/(4*2 mg) = (1/4)* (k*x^2)/(2mg) = (1/4)(24 m) = 6 m ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me, I hope I'm not missing something.

Your equations and setup are correct for both problems. For the first problem, the answer is indeed c. 3.92E5, and for the second problem, the answer is c. 6 m. Great job using the equations for elastic potential energy and Hooke's law to solve these problems! It's important to note that in these types of problems, we are assuming that all the energy is conserved and there is no loss due to friction or other factors. Keep up the good work!

Related to Elastic Potential Energy and the Spring Constant

What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched, compressed, or deformed. It is a form of potential energy that is stored in the object's elastic materials, such as springs or rubber bands.

How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring is.

How does the spring constant affect elastic potential energy?

The spring constant directly affects the amount of elastic potential energy stored in an object. A higher spring constant means the object will have more elastic potential energy for the same amount of displacement, while a lower spring constant will result in less elastic potential energy.

Can the spring constant change?

The spring constant is a property of the spring itself and does not change unless the spring is physically altered. However, the effective spring constant can change depending on the materials used, the temperature, and the length or thickness of the spring.