Elastic Modulus - Probably a dumb question but I can't do it

In summary, Sam did an experiment in physics to determine Young's modulus for an elastic band with weights attached. The data collected includes weight, length, and how much it extended. To calculate E, the cross sectional area of the specimen is needed. The formula for stress is sigma=F/A and Sam may need to consult a materials class for further guidance.
Gallows
WEIGHT (kg) Length (m) How much it extended (m) STRESS STRAIN
0.1 0.11 0.4
0.2 0.13 0.6
0.3 0.18 0.11

I did an experiment in physics for youngs modulus, I need to workout the stress and strain on an elastic band with weights attached, but I have no idea how.

Could anyone please help me to workout the stress and strain from the data I got from the experiment and please explain how

Regards

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Gallows said:
WEIGHT (kg) Length (m) How much it extended (m) STRESS STRAIN
0.1 0.11 0.4
0.2 0.13 0.6
0.3 0.18 0.11

I did an experiment in physics for youngs modulus, I need to workout the stress and strain on an elastic band with weights attached, but I have no idea how.

Could anyone please help me to workout the stress and strain from the data I got from the experiment and please explain how

Regards

Sam

Ok, I'm guessing that your columns are respectively weight, length and how much it extended? Anyways to determine E (Young's modulus) we're going to have to know the cross sectional area of the specimen. E=sigma/epsilon so we need to calculate stress with the formula sigma=F/A. Anyways I'm just a first year eng student and I haven't learned much in my materials class yet but as far as I know you're going to need the cross sectional area

Related to Elastic Modulus - Probably a dumb question but I can't do it

1. What is the definition of elastic modulus?

Elastic modulus, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation under stress. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in the elastic region of a material's stress-strain curve.

2. How is elastic modulus calculated?

Elastic modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain. It is represented by the symbol E and has units of force per unit area, such as N/m2 or Pa.

3. What factors affect the elastic modulus of a material?

The elastic modulus of a material is affected by factors such as temperature, microstructure, and composition. In general, materials with strong chemical bonds and a dense atomic structure tend to have higher elastic moduli. Temperature can also affect the elastic modulus as it can cause changes in the material's microstructure, which can impact its stiffness.

4. What is a high elastic modulus and what is a low elastic modulus?

A high elastic modulus means that a material is very stiff and requires a large amount of force to deform it. Examples of materials with high elastic moduli include steel, diamond, and carbon nanotubes. A low elastic modulus means that a material is more flexible and can be deformed more easily with less force. Examples of materials with low elastic moduli include rubber, plastic, and paper.

5. How does elastic modulus differ from other mechanical properties?

Elastic modulus is just one of many mechanical properties that describe a material's behavior under stress. It differs from other properties such as strength, hardness, and toughness, which measure a material's ability to withstand different types of stress. Elastic modulus specifically measures a material's stiffness and its ability to return to its original shape after being deformed.