Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor and Defects

In summary, the conversation is about a paper on the elastic energy-momentum tensor by Eshelby. Equation 4.4 is discussed, which involves a translation of a surface and a claim about the difference in energies. The speaker is having trouble understanding it and asks for help. Another person provides a clarification and the conversation ends.
muzialis
Hi All,

I am reading the seminal paper by Eshelby on the elastic energy-momentum tensor, which I attach for your convenience.
It is all beautiful but equation 4.4 at the beginning. He considers a surface S in the undeformed configuration of a body. The surface is translated by a vector u to a surface S', and the claim is made that the difference in the energies of the portions of the body enclosed by S, S' equals the energy of the portion included by S times the vector u, I really do not see that, albeit the fact it must be obvious...it does not even seem dimensionally consistent to me ...Can anybody help?, I am sure many of you read the paper and/or are familiar with these concepts, I would not hope that you read a new paper just to answer a post.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• Eshelby Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor.pdf
    814.3 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
4.4 looks like an alternate way of writing ∇E = F (equivalently, ΔE = Δx * F).

Andy, many thanks. sometimes I get stuck and an obviousity becomes a wall.

Related to Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor and Defects

1. What is the Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor?

The Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor is a mathematical representation of the elastic properties of a material. It describes the distribution of elastic energy and momentum within a material, and is used to calculate stress, strain, and other mechanical properties.

2. How is the Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor related to defects in materials?

Defects in materials, such as dislocations and vacancies, can cause local distortions in the crystal lattice, leading to changes in the elastic energy and momentum within the material. The Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor takes these defects into account when calculating the overall mechanical properties of the material.

3. How is the Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor calculated?

The Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor is calculated by taking the derivative of the strain energy density with respect to the strain tensor. This involves using the equations of motion and boundary conditions, as well as considering the effects of defects in the material.

4. What are some applications of the Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor?

The Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor is used in a wide range of fields, including materials science, engineering, and geophysics. It is particularly useful in understanding the mechanical properties of crystalline materials, and is used in the design and development of new materials and structures.

5. How does the Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor differ from the Stress-Energy Tensor?

The Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor and the Stress-Energy Tensor are similar in that they both describe the distribution of energy and momentum within a material. However, the Elastic Energy Momentum Tensor takes into account the elastic properties of a material, while the Stress-Energy Tensor also includes the effects of thermal and electromagnetic forces.