Elastic collison of 2 moving object

In summary, two objects with masses of 0.900 kg and 1.30 kg are initially moving east at 2.8 m/s and west at 1.4 m/s, respectively. After a perfectly elastic collision, the velocities of the objects can be found using the equations m1V1i + m2V2i = m1V1f + m2V2f and m1V1i^2 + m2V2i^2 = m1V1f^2 + m2V2f^2. Alternatively, the shortcut formula 1/2 mv
HelloMotto
a .900 kg object is moving east at 2.8 m/s.
a 1.30 kg object is moving west at 1.4 m/s.
If the collision is perfectly elastic find the velocities after the collision. (neglect friction)

I know momentum and kinetic energy is conserved but I am really clueless as to what to do.
Please help me start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two simultaneous equations here may be useful, one for KE and one for momentum.

Let V1i be object 1's velocity before impact V2i be object 2's veloctiy before impact V1f be object 1's velocity after imapct and V2f be object 2's velocity after impact. m1 is first object's mass, m2 = object 2's mass

Then m1V1i + m2V2i = m1V1f + m2V2f.
m1V1i^2 + m2V2i^2 = m1V1f^2 + m2V2f^2

(Note how I have canceled out the 'half' in K = 1/2 * mv^2 - in effect doubling every term in the 2nd equation, so it's simpler to work with but still doesn't effect the system of equations).

Substitute in the values you are given. Take moving east as moving in the positive direction (and therefore moving west in the negative direction).

You can just use Vi - Vf = -(V2i - V2f)

Is a shortcut my professor showed us instead of using quadratics by 1/2 mv^2

Related to Elastic collison of 2 moving object

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the energy before the collision is equal to the energy after the collision.

2. How is the velocity of each object affected by an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the velocity of each object is affected by the mass and velocity of the other object. The velocity of one object will decrease while the velocity of the other object will increase, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

The main difference between elastic and inelastic collisions is that in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, all of the kinetic energy is conserved.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision?

The final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the mass and initial velocities of the objects.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of equal mass?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of equal mass. In this case, the velocities of the objects will be exchanged, but the total kinetic energy of the system will remain the same.