Elastic Collisions - Understand Motion Transmission w/ Kinetic Energy

In summary, Luis is trying to understand how motion is transmitted through collisions. He has doubts about the explanation given and asks for help.
luis20
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I enjoy physics but I'm full of doubts :)

Now I'm trying to understand how motion is transmited through collisions and I can't understand why elastic collisions keep kinetic energy constant and why constant of restitution equals one.

I just imagine that the collision lasts until both corps have the same velocity. After that they keep their track without pushing each other. This is what makes sense to me, but I know I must be wrong.

Thanks for any help you can give :)
Luis

Physics news on Phys.org
During the first part of the collision the two bodies are deformed (compressed). If the collision is elastic, they will expand back and their relative velocity will increase.
You can imagine a spring between the two rigid bodies. When one of them approaches the other, it will compress the spring until the relative speed of the two bodies is zero. But then the spring won't stay this way. If there is no elasticity, then you have what you describe in your post. That would be a plastic collision.

Thanks.

But I didn't understand well the part of the restitution.

Well, elastic collisions occur in all bodies that don't exceed their elastic limit during the collision right?

So, for instances, a elastic collision between a moving body and a stationary one. After they get deformed and reach the same velocity, the restitution begins.
They both expand toward each other. How do I know that in the first push of the restitution they don't finally separate and so all the velocity is not trasnmitted to the next body as it should be?
Cause the expansion of restitution as to accompany the increase of relative velocity between the bodies, so the transfer of velocity can be concluded. I hope you can understand my point.

I mean, I can expand a little bit, but during the time of that expansion, my increasing velocity gave me a greater distance between me and something that wasn't fullfilled by that expansion! So I couldn't remain in collision with that something.

Last edited:

Related to Elastic Collisions - Understand Motion Transmission w/ Kinetic Energy

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system are conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy, resulting in no change in their overall speed or direction of motion.

2. How is kinetic energy related to elastic collisions?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In elastic collisions, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the total amount of kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of kinetic energy after the collision. This is what allows the objects to bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

The main difference between elastic and inelastic collisions is that in elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in inelastic collisions, some energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved. This means that inelastic collisions do not result in a perfect rebound, unlike elastic collisions.

4. How does the mass of the objects involved affect elastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the mass of the objects involved does not affect the outcome of the collision. This is because the conservation of kinetic energy and momentum only depends on the initial and final velocities of the objects, not their masses. However, in inelastic collisions, the mass of the objects can affect the amount of energy lost during the collision.

5. Can elastic collisions occur in real-life scenarios?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur in real-life scenarios. A common example is the collision between two billiard balls on a pool table. When the balls collide, they bounce off each other without any loss of energy, resulting in a perfect rebound. However, it is important to note that in real-life, there are always some energy losses due to factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the objects, making truly elastic collisions rare.