Elastic Collision: Solving for Delta x

In summary, the problem involves a 4kg mass moving at 3m/s towards a 8kg mass at rest on a frictionless table. After the collision, the velocities of the masses are 2m/s and 1m/s, respectively. The question is asking for the distance traveled by each mass from the base of the table. The attempted solution involves two unknowns and two equations, but the height and time of flight are not known. Further clarification and assistance are needed to solve the problem.
rugbygirl2

Homework Statement

I have a 4kg mass (m1) moving at 3m/s towards a 8kg mass (m2) at rest on a 2m long frictionless table that is of unknown height. I solved for the velocities after the collsion m1= 2m/s and m2= 1m/, suppose the two masses were placed so that they left the edges of the table in opposite directions at the same time, ie the collision happened so that m2 was placed 0.66667m from the edge. What is the distance that each travels from the base of the table (delta x).

Homework Equations

m1= 4kg, and a initial vx of 2 m/s
m2= 8kg, and a initial vx of 1 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know the height or time of flight so any way I substitute equations I get 2 unknowns. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi rugbygirl2! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You should have two equations, which should be enough for two unknowns.

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

To solve for delta x, we can use the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations for an elastic collision. The conservation of momentum equation states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, we have two objects colliding, so we can write this equation as:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities before the collision, and v1f and v2f are their final velocities after the collision.

The conservation of energy equation states that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. We can write this equation as:

1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v2f^2

Now, we can use these two equations to solve for delta x. First, we need to find the final velocities after the collision. We are given that m1v1f = 2m/s and m2v2f = 1m/s. We can use these values to solve for v1f and v2f:

v1f = 2m/s / m1 = 2m/s / 4kg = 0.5m/s
v2f = 1m/s / m2 = 1m/s / 8kg = 0.125m/s

Now, we can plug these values into the conservation of energy equation to solve for delta x:

1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v2f^2

1/2(4kg)(2m/s)^2 + 1/2(8kg)(1m/s)^2 = 1/2(4kg)(0.5m/s)^2 + 1/2(8kg)(0.125m/s)^2

16J + 4J = 1J + 0.5J

19J = 1.5J

Delta x = 19J /

Related to Elastic Collision: Solving for Delta x

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is delta x calculated in an elastic collision?

Delta x, or the change in position, can be calculated in an elastic collision using the equation delta x = (m1v1 - m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and v1 and v2 are their velocities before the collision.

3. Can delta x be negative in an elastic collision?

Yes, delta x can be negative in an elastic collision. A negative value means that the objects have moved in opposite directions after the collision.

4. What are the assumptions made in calculating delta x in an elastic collision?

The main assumptions made in calculating delta x in an elastic collision are that there is no external force acting on the system, the objects are rigid and do not deform during the collision, and there is no loss of kinetic energy.

5. How can elastic collisions be applied in real-life situations?

Elastic collisions can be applied in real-life situations such as in billiards, where the balls collide and bounce off each other without losing kinetic energy, or in sports like tennis or golf, where the ball and racket/club experience an elastic collision.