Elastic Collision on a Frictionless Track

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a frictionless track and a collision between two blocks of different masses. The goal is to calculate the maximum height reached by one of the blocks after the collision. The conversation mentions using kinetic energy, momentum, and potential energy equations to solve the problem, and also suggests using Newton's experimental law with R=1.
komarxian

Homework Statement

Consider a frictionless track as shown (I will attach an image in a follow up post). A block of mass M1= 5.00 kg is released from point A. It makes a head-on elastic collision at B with a block of mass m2 = 10 kg that is initially at rest. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the collision.

Homework Equations

p1+p2 = p1' + p2'
.5mv2+.5mv2=.5mv2'+.5mv2+

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I tried mixing the Kinetic energy with some momentum equations and also potential energy because KE=-U, but I feel like I probably totally screwed up, and when I tried to use kinematics it didn't work out very well.
The answer I got was 5 meters, but I do not know what the correct answer is. (I will post an image with my work as well, because personally I find it hard to read typed math and prefer pictures, and someone else might too) Thank you so much to anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1453425941.973192.jpg

The top is the image that goes with the problem. Below is my work.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1453425995.806060.jpg

Clearly 5m must be too much.
Looks like you found the collision velocity to be 10m/s, which is right if you are taking g as 10m/s2.
Couldn't follow your working after that. You need to use conservation of momentum and of energy to find the new velocity of the first mass.
Or, if you have been taught it, you can use "Newton's experimental law" with R=1. This can be derived from those two conservation equations.

Related to Elastic Collision on a Frictionless Track

1. What is an elastic collision on a frictionless track?

An elastic collision on a frictionless track is a type of collision in which two objects collide without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision on a frictionless track?

In an elastic collision on a frictionless track, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system, and therefore the total momentum remains constant.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the total momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, there is some loss of kinetic energy and the total momentum may not be conserved. This is because inelastic collisions involve some external forces, such as friction, that can dissipate energy.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the outcome of an elastic collision on a frictionless track?

The mass of the objects does not affect the outcome of an elastic collision on a frictionless track. This is because the total kinetic energy and momentum are conserved regardless of the mass of the objects. However, the velocities of the objects after the collision may be different depending on their masses.

5. Can an elastic collision on a frictionless track occur in real life?

In theory, an elastic collision on a frictionless track can occur in real life, but it is difficult to achieve in practice. In reality, there will always be some friction or external forces present that will cause some loss of kinetic energy. However, in certain situations, such as collisions between subatomic particles, an elastic collision on a frictionless track can be observed.