Elastic Collision of two objects

In summary, an object with a mass of 5.5 kg and a velocity of 5.5 m/s collides head-on with an object with a mass of 2.5 kg and a velocity of -4.0 m/s. Using the equation for elastic collisions, the final velocity for the first object is 5.51 m/s and the final velocity for the second object is -0.45 m/s. However, the calculation for the quadratic equation needs to be double checked as the given answers are slightly off.
Bowenj

Homework Statement

A 5.5 kg object moving in the +x direction at 5.5 m/s collides head-on with a 2.5 kg object moving in the -x direction at 4.0 m/s. Find the final velocity of each mass for each of the following situations. (Take the positive direction to be +x.) The equation is elastic

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'

.5m1(v1)2+.5m1(v1)2= 5m1(v1')2+5m2(v2)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged the numbers into the first equation, and solved for v2', which gave me 8.1-2.2v1'=v2'

Then i substitued this into the second equation, which gave me
103.1875=.5(5.5)(v1')^2+(.5)(2.5)(8.1-2.2(v1'))^2

then i simplified and go

103.1875 = 2.75(v1')^2+1.25(65.61-35.64v1'+4.84(v1')^2)

I simplified again and got

0= 8.8(v1')^2-44.55v1'-21.175

Okay so then i used the quadratic equation and got 5.51 and -.448, but neither one of those answers are right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bowenj said:
0= 8.8(v1')^2-44.55v1'-21.175

Okay so then i used the quadratic equation and got 5.51 and -.448, but neither one of those answers are right.
Double check your solution for that quadratic. Your answers are off a bit. (And solving that quadratic correctly does give the correct answer, so your work up to that point is good.)

Related to Elastic Collision of two objects

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both the momentum and the total kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects involved do not undergo any permanent deformation or loss of energy during the collision.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In contrast, an elastic collision involves no energy loss and the objects involved retain their original shapes and sizes.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The mass, velocity, and angle of approach of the objects involved all play a role in determining the outcome of an elastic collision. In addition, the coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of the objects, also affects the outcome.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between three or more objects?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between multiple objects as long as the total momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. However, it becomes more complex to calculate the outcome as the number of objects increases.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated in an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution (e) is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of separation by the relative velocity of approach. This value is always between 0 and 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.