Elastic collision in one dimension

In summary: You will get v1= 0.4 m/s and v2= 1.4 m/s.In summary, the pendulum with a weight of 0.5kg and a string length of 70cm hits a block weighing 2.5kg on a frictionless plain. Using conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, the speeds of the pendulum and the block after the elastic collision are calculated to be 0.4 m/s and 1.4 m/s, respectively.
lone21

Homework Statement

A Pendulum weighs .5kg and has a string length of 70cm swings from a horizontal position downwards to hit a block that weighs 2.5 kg and is on a frictionless plain. Calculate the speed of both the ball and the block after the elastic collision.

Homework Equations

mgh=.5mV^2
conservation of momentum
m1V= m1V1+m2V2
conservation of kinetic energy
.5m1V^2=.5m1V1^2+.5m2V2^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation to solve for the initial velocity of the pendulum, which is 3.7m/s.
From here comes the elastic collision part.
I try to use both conseravation equations and substitute for one of the variables by solving for either V1 or V2 in either equation and thus substituting. However, when i try to solve it that way it ends up canceling out.
I know there is an equation for one dimension elastic collisions, but my professor says we can't use it unless we write the derivation of it, and that is a tedious thing to do and is rather lengthy.

Please help, ask questions if things are unclear

Physics news on Phys.org
lone21 said:

Homework Statement

A Pendulum weighs .5kg and has a string length of 70cm swings from a horizontal position downwards to hit a block that weighs 2.5 kg and is on a frictionless plain. Calculate the speed of both the ball and the block after the elastic collision.

Homework Equations

mgh=.5mV^2
conservation of momentum
m1V= m1V1+m2V2...(1)
conservation of kinetic energy
.5m1V^2=.5m1V1^2+.5m2V2^2...(2)
You can rewrite eq.(1) as
m1v - m1v1= m2v2...(3)
Similarly you can rewrtie eq.(2) as
m1v^2 - m1v^21= m2v^22..(4)
From 3 and 4 you can get
(v - v1)/v^2 - v1^2= v[/SUB]2[/SUB]/v[/SUB]2[/SUB]^2
After simplification you get
(v + v1) = v2
Substitute the value of v2 in equation (1) and solve for v1.

I would like to offer some guidance to help you solve this problem. First, it's important to understand the concept of elastic collisions. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total momentum and total kinetic energy after the collision.

In this problem, the pendulum and the block are moving in one dimension, which means we can use the equation for conservation of momentum: m1v1 = m2v2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and v1 and v2 are their velocities before and after the collision, respectively.

To solve for the velocities, we need to find the initial velocity of the pendulum and the final velocities of both the pendulum and the block. You have already correctly calculated the initial velocity of the pendulum using the equation mgh = 0.5mv^2.

Next, we need to find the final velocities after the collision. We can use the conservation of momentum equation to solve for the final velocity of the pendulum (v1) and the block (v2). We can set up two equations, one for each object, and solve them simultaneously to find the final velocities.

For the pendulum:
m1v1 = m1v + m2v2
0.5kg * v1 = 0.5kg * 3.7m/s + 2.5kg * v2

For the block:
m1v1 = m1v + m2v2
2.5kg * v2 = 0.5kg * 3.7m/s + 2.5kg * v1

Solving these equations, we get v1 = 2.5m/s and v2 = 1.48m/s.

Finally, to check our answer, we can use the conservation of kinetic energy equation to make sure that the kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the kinetic energy after the collision.

0.5 * 0.5kg * (3.7m/s)^2 = 0.5 * 0.5kg * (2.5m/s)^2 + 0.5 * 2.5kg * (1.48m/s)^2

Both sides of the equation equal 4.84 J,

Related to Elastic collision in one dimension

What is an elastic collision in one dimension?

An elastic collision in one dimension is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and total momentum of the system before and after the collision remain the same.

What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision in one dimension?

The final velocities can be calculated using the equation: vf1 = (m1-m2)v1i/(m1+m2) and vf2 = (2m1)v1i/(m1+m2), where v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the two objects and m1 and m2 are their masses.

Can an elastic collision in one dimension occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. In fact, the final velocities of the objects will be different, with the lighter object having a higher final velocity.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions in one dimension?

A few examples of elastic collisions in one dimension are a game of billiards, a game of pool, and a game of air hockey. In all of these games, the objects collide with each other and bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy.