Elastic Collision Homework: 3kg Mass, 4m/s Velocity, 2kg Resting Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of final velocities of two masses after an elastic collision on a frictionless surface. Two equations, conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, are used to find the final velocities. A third equation is introduced, stating that the relative velocities before and after the collision remain the same. However, there is a mistake in the calculation, which is corrected by using the correct sign convention. The final velocities can be determined by solving the simultaneous equations.
Karol

Homework Statement

A body of mass 3 kg slides on a friction less surface with velocity 4 m/s and collides elastically with a resting mass of 2 kg. calculate the final velocities.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum: [itex]m_1v_1+m_2v_2=m_1u_1+m_2u_2[/itex]
Conservation of energy: [itex]\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved those two equations and got a correct answer. but my question is as follows:
If we solve, as a general case, the two above equations we get a third equation:
[tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2)[/tex]
Which states that the relative velocities before and after the collision remain the same.
When i solved this third equation together with the first equation, that of the conservation of momentum i got, of course, a wrong answer.
Can you explain? both ways seem correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to show your work. I don't see why the latter approach should give you a wrong answer.

My work

When i use the first method, the long way by solving fully the 2 equations, right from the start there is a difference: from the Conservation of momentum:
[tex]3\cdot 4=3u_1+2u_2 \Rightarrow u_1=4-\frac{2}{3}u_2[/tex]
The second equation in both methods is the conservation of energy which remains the same.
In the second method, from the equation:
[tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2) \Rightarrow 3=-(u_1-u_2) \Rightarrow u_1=u_2-3[/tex]
The two u1 differ.

Karol said:
[tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2) \Rightarrow 3=-(u_1-u_2) \Rightarrow u_1=u_2-3[/tex]
The two u1 differ.
Based on sign convention, if positive is towards right, then it should be
[tex]u_{1} - u_{2} = 4[/tex]
and that gives same answer as the previous approach since [itex]u_{2}[/itex] is zero.
You might have mixed up some numbers in your attempt (eg. the 3 you have here instead of 4).

Fightfish said:
Based on sign convention, if positive is towards right, then it should be
[tex]u_{1} - u_{2} = 4[/tex]
Thanks, i wouldn't have found it, but i think you have a mistake, if i take it as you wrote:
[tex]u_1=u_2+4[/tex]
the answer would be wrong. and why should i change signs? i shouldn't take into consideration the positive direction since the equation:
[tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2)[/tex]
Is general, it doesn't take in consideration directions, no?
So, if i use:
[tex]u_1=u_2-4[/tex]
then it comes out right

I think we might have been using different letters for initial and final. I assumed that u referred to the initial velocity. If so, then u1 = 4 is the correct answer since u2 = 0 and the direction of the initial block is taken to be positive.

Yup, seems that you mean final velocities by u. Then the two equations that you mentioned earlier:
[tex]u_1=4-\frac{2}{3}u_2[/tex]
[tex]u_1=u_2-4[/tex]
are correct.

There is no disagreement between them; they form a pair of simultaneous equations that allow you to determine both [itex]u_{1}[/itex] and [itex]u_{2}[/itex]

Related to Elastic Collision Homework: 3kg Mass, 4m/s Velocity, 2kg Resting Mass

1. What is the definition of an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision are equal.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of the 2kg resting mass after the collision?

To calculate the velocity of the 2kg resting mass after the collision, we can use the equation v2 = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and v1 are the mass and velocity of the 3kg mass before the collision, and m2 is the mass of the 2kg resting mass. Plugging in the values given in the question, we get v2 = (3kg * 4m/s + 0kg * 0m/s) / (3kg + 2kg) = 2.4m/s.

3. What is the total momentum of the system before and after the collision?

Since momentum is conserved in an elastic collision, the total momentum before and after the collision is the same. The total momentum of the system before the collision is (3kg * 4m/s) + (2kg * 0m/s) = 12kgm/s, and after the collision it is (3kg * 2.4m/s) + (2kg * 2.4m/s) = 12kgm/s.

4. Is the collision between the 3kg mass and the 2kg resting mass elastic?

Yes, based on the given information, the collision between the 3kg mass and the 2kg resting mass is elastic. This is because kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, and there is no loss of energy or deformation of the objects involved.

5. Can you determine the final velocity of the 3kg mass after the collision?

No, we cannot determine the final velocity of the 3kg mass after the collision because we do not have enough information. In an elastic collision, the final velocities of both objects depend on their masses and initial velocities.