Elastic Collision and final speed

In summary, the problem involves two masses, m1 and m2, with initial velocities and an elastic collision that results in mass one emerging at an angle of 31 degrees. The goal is to determine the final speed of mass one, the angle between mass two's velocity and the initial velocity of mass one, and the final speed of mass two. The equations used are conservation of mechanical energy and momentum in the x and y directions. However, the lack of information about v1f makes the solution challenging and the author is seeking guidance.
learnin'

Homework Statement

a) Initially, mass one (2.40 kg) has a velocity of 5.70 m/s and mass two (2.20 kg) is at rest. After they collide, mass one emerges at an angle theta = 31.0 degrees. What is the speed of mass one after the collision if the collision is completely elastic? (Note, there are actually two possible answers two this problem, choose the solution which has m1 going as fast as possible.)

b) What is the angle phi, between mass two's velocity and the initial velocity of mass one? (Give your answer as a positive number in degrees.)

c)What is the final speed of mass two after the collision?

m1= 2.40kg
v1i= 5.70m/s
m2 = 2.2kg
theta1= 30 deg
v1f= ??
theta 2 = ??
v2f = ??

Homework Equations

Because it's elastic,

mechanical energy is conserved.
1/2 m1(v1i)^2 = 1/2m1(v1f)^2 + 1/2m2(v2f)^2

Momentum is conserved
for x direction: m1v1i= m1v1f cos(theta1) + m2v2f(theta2)
for y direction: m1v1i= m1v1f sin(theta1) + m2v2f(theta2) = 0

tan (theta2) = (v1f* sin (theta1))/(v1i - v1f * cos (theta1))

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty, I'm a little thrown off because I don't know what v1f is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried dividing the xdirection equation with ydirection equation and then getting 1 = tan (theta1) + tan(theta2)...but it didn't work... I need help... or a little guidance.

Related to Elastic Collision and final speed

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision is the same. This means that the objects involved in the collision exchange energy without losing any of it to other forms, such as heat or sound.

3. What is the equation for calculating final speed in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating final speed in an elastic collision is: vf = (m1u1 + m2u2)/(m1 + m2), where vf is the final speed, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial speeds of the objects.

4. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost to other forms, such as heat or sound.

5. Can an elastic collision occur in real life?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur in real life, but they are rare. Most collisions involve some loss of kinetic energy due to friction or other factors. Examples of elastic collisions in real life could include two billiard balls colliding or two atoms colliding in a gas.