How Does Adding Mass Affect Velocity in a Frictionless System?

In summary: I'm doing algebra.First of all kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2.Also, after falling 5 meters the girl and sled have less potential energy than they did befor the fall, not more. You also should to use the conservation of momentum to find the new speed after the collisionOk, so this isn't calculus then. You should know that KE = mv^2/2. So use your approach of conservation of energy after the girl and sled start moving.
Trista
Once again, I am pleading for help. Here is the problem and what I have done:
Gayle runs at a speed of 4.00 m/s and dives on a sled, initially at rest, on the top of a frictionless, snow-covered hill. After she has descended a vertical distance of 5.00m, her brother, who is initially at rest, hops on her back and they continue down the hill together. What is the final velocity if the total vertical distance is 15.0 m?
m1 = 50 kg
m2 = 5 kg
m3 = 30 kg
I figure I have to solve for the first part, where the girl jumps on the sled and goes 5 m:
KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
| | | |
m1v1i +0 = m2v2f+mgh
50kg (4 m/s) = 55kg(v2f) + 55kg(9.8 m/s)(5 m)
then:
200 = 55kg(v2f) + 2695 then, subtracting 2695 from the right & left:
-2495 = 55kg (v2f) then, divide out the 55 from the right and then left:
-45.36 = v2f I suppose the negative sign shows they are traveling down the hill.
But then, assuming that my prior calculation is correct (which if it is, I want a ride on that sled), then I need to start over again except that my initial velocity would be v2f from the previous question, and I am looking for v3f, right? I hope this isn't too confusing, I'm trying to show that I've been working on this problem, and I would really like to understand it.
Thank you for your help! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy is not mv. It is [itex]\int mvdv[/itex]

AM

ok, wait, this is the algebra section, right? that looks like an integral, and I'm doing algebra.

First of all kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2.
Also, after falling 5 meters the girl and sled have less potential energy than they did befor the fall, not more. You also should to use the conservation of momentum to find the new speed after the collision

Last edited:
Trista said:
ok, wait, this is the algebra section, right? that looks like an integral, and I'm doing algebra.
Ok. No calculus. You should know that KE = mv^2/2. Use your approach of conservation of energy.

There is a trick here though. The collision of the girl and the sled is not elastic. So you can use conservation energy only after the girl and sled starts moving together. As Daniel says, you have to use conservation of momentum to find that initial sled speed.

AM

Last edited:

Related to How Does Adding Mass Affect Velocity in a Frictionless System?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy and momentum after the collision.

2. How does a sled experience an elastic collision?

A sled can experience an elastic collision when it collides with another object or surface with no loss of energy. This means that the sled will bounce off the object or surface with the same speed and direction it had before the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision involving a sled?

The outcome of an elastic collision involving a sled can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the sled, the mass and velocity of the object or surface it collides with, and the angle and surface conditions of the collision.

4. How does an elastic collision differ from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions involving a sled?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions involving a sled include a sled colliding with a snowbank, a sled hitting a bump on the ground and bouncing off, or two sleds colliding with each other on a snowy hill.