Elastic and Inelastic Collisions

In summary: Use different symbols to represent the speed of the bullet before and after the collision. (Such as v2 and v2'.) You'll use this equation later. Hint: Analyze the collision with block 2 first.The bullet has a speed of v2 after the collision.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

A bullet with a mass of 3.25 g is fired horizontally at two blocks resting on a smooth and frictionless table top as shown in the Figure. The bullet passes through the first 1.25 kg block, and embeds itself in a second 1.80 kg block. Speeds v1 = 2.40 m/s and v2 = 2.60 m/s, are thereby imparted on the blocks. The mass removed from the first block by the bullet can be neglected.

a) Find the speed of the bullet immediately after emerging from the first block.
b) Find the initial speed of the bullet.

http://psblnx03.bd.psu.edu/res/fsu/capalibrary/16Momentum/Graphics/prob10a.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get how to solve this problem without knowing the speed of the bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zhalfirin88 said:
I don't get how to solve this problem without knowing the speed of the bullet.
You're asked to figure out the speed of the bullet. Hint: What's conserved during these collisions?

Doc Al said:
You're asked to figure out the speed of the bullet. Hint: What's conserved during these collisions?

I know it's momentum, but the equation doesn't make sense, blah I forgot to put it up there.

object 1 is block 1 and object 2 is the bullet.

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

What would you call the initial condition? The block would be zero, but what about the bullet? The final condition is all there.

m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

Last edited:
Zhalfirin88 said:
What would you call the initial condition? The block would be zero, but what about the bullet? The final condition is all there.

m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2
Use different symbols to represent the speed of the bullet before and after the collision. (Such as v2 and v2'.) You'll use this equation later. Hint: Analyze the collision with block 2 first.

I did that before but left divided by the wrong mass (.003 kg instead of .00325 kg) which lead me to believe it was wrong. Thanks, solved.

Related to Elastic and Inelastic Collisions

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is a loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is greater than the total kinetic energy after the collision.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

Momentum is conserved in a collision because the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the combined mass and velocity of the objects remains the same before and after the collision.

4. What is the difference between a perfectly elastic and a perfectly inelastic collision?

In a perfectly elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other with no deformation. In a perfectly inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy and the objects stick together after the collision, resulting in deformation.

5. How do the coefficients of restitution differ in elastic and inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, while in an inelastic collision, it is less than 1. This means that in an inelastic collision, there is less rebound and more energy is lost due to deformation.