Either my math book is wrong or my calculator doesn't work

In summary, There is a discrepancy between the answer for sin of 45 degrees given by a calculator and a website compared to the answer given in a book. However, the book is correct as the calculator and website are using radians instead of degrees. It is important to remember to switch the angle unit measurement on calculators and be mindful of significant digits in calculations.
bobsmith76
This book says that sin of 45 degrees is .70

My calculator which is a TI 83 says it's .85, plus this website also says it's .85

http://www.coolmath.com/graphit/

Screenshot2011-08-19at40606AM.png

Who is right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ok, this website
http://web2.0calc.com/
gives me the answer .70, but I would still like to know why a TI 83 is wrong

The books right. Your calculator is calculating it in Radians. Switch it to degree's and it\l give you the right answer.

It's a units problem. [itex]45^{\circ} = {\pi \over 4}[/itex]. Indeed [itex]\sin 45^{\circ} \approx 0.707[/itex], when the argument of sin is measured in degrees, but [itex]\sin 45 \approx 0.85[/itex] since the 45 here is measured in radians. You have to tell your calculator to use a different unit of angle measurement.

Always remember, when you turn your calculator on, press "Mode" to make sure it's in the correct angle unit measurement. You should be in degrees, but if you're in precal or trig, you'll move to radians pretty quick. If you're in geometry, you'll stay with degrees, so you'll have to switch it back to degrees every time you reset it. When reset, it defaults to radians.

bobsmith76 said:
This book says that sin of 45 degrees is .70
Also, be careful with your significant digits bobsmith, otherwise both answers are wrong. If you are going to write 2 significant digits then it has to be 0.71 :)

uart said:
Also, be careful with your significant digits bobsmith, otherwise both answers are wrong. If you are going to write 2 significant digits then it has to be 0.71 :)

LOL! But, I think he's in geometry, which is typically a sophomore class. Most high school kids don't learn sig. figs. until chemistry, because it's not expected of them until they get to a high level science class (like chemistry).

Related to Either my math book is wrong or my calculator doesn't work

1. Is it possible for my math book to be wrong?

Yes, it is possible for your math book to have errors. Textbooks are written by humans and can contain mistakes.

2. How can I determine if my math book is wrong or my calculator is malfunctioning?

You can compare your calculations with another reliable source, such as a teacher or online calculator. If the results are consistently different, it is likely that one of them is incorrect.

3. What should I do if I find errors in my math book?

You can bring it to the attention of your teacher or the publisher of the book. They may be able to provide clarification or corrections for the errors.

4. Can a calculator have errors?

Yes, calculators are electronic devices and can malfunction or give incorrect results. It is important to check your calculations with another source to ensure accuracy.

5. Should I always trust my calculator over my math book?

It is best to use multiple sources to verify your calculations. If there are discrepancies, it is important to investigate further to determine the correct answer.