Einstein's Space-Time Continuum: Is Time a 4th Dimension?

In summary, Einstein's concept of space-time continuity suggests that time is just another dimension, similar to the other three dimensions. However, we experience time differently because it is influenced by factors such as relative motion and gravity. Some may argue that this topic belongs in the realm of philosophy rather than physics.
cripkd
Did Einstein meant by space-time continuous that time is just another dimension, like the other 3?
If so, why are we experiencing this one that differently? (Should this have gone in the phylosophy section?)

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing I think of is we have no influence over our location in time. It's decided for us by nature. We can influence our locaiton in 3-space.

At least Einstein ment that the dimensions of space and the dimension of time where connected and not independent of each other. I find it hard to put them on equal footing, but it´s a good question...

Originally posted by cripkd
Did Einstein meant by space-time continuous that time is just another dimension, like the other 3?
If so, why are we experiencing this one that differently? (Should this have gone in the phylosophy section?)

Mathematically? Yes. Physically? No.

Ok, then what is time physically ? :)
I know this is an OLD question, and I'm asking it rethoricaly. Could someone point me to some resources on what time is, other than specutlations, at least what modern physics considers it to be , today :)

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/whattime.html 's a nice essay from Lee Smolin (at the end, there is a little bio sketch of Smolin).

Just to add my own (short version of an) answer: we define time as that which is measured by clocks. It's flux depends on relative motion and gravity, and the process by which we accumulate information can only go in one direction with respect to that flux.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know how when you have a circle and you take a straight line perpendicular on the circle, in it's center, and sliding the circle along the line produces a cilinder?
Well this is how i see time, it generates the 4 - dimensional universe, with the 3 spatial dimension sliding in one direction along the line and perceve this movement as passing of time.
In my vision the universe, if looked upon from outside the 4 dimensional space-time continuous, would look motionless, every object having 'motion trails' that are in fact it's states in time.

Originally posted by cripkd

You mean continuum? It is "just" another dimention, but a timelike dimention differs from a spacelike dimention in that for displacement along the timelike direction [tex]ds^2[/tex] has an overall sign difference from a dispacement along a spacelike direction. So they are indeed both mathematically and physically different types of dimention.

Related to Einstein's Space-Time Continuum: Is Time a 4th Dimension?

1. What is Einstein's space-time continuum?

Einstein's space-time continuum is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains how gravity affects the motion of objects in space.

2. How does the space-time continuum work?

The space-time continuum shows how space and time are interconnected and how they affect the motion of objects. It is a four-dimensional coordinate system, where the three dimensions of space are represented by length, width, and height, and the fourth dimension of time is represented by the duration of events.

3. Is time really the 4th dimension?

In the context of the space-time continuum, time is considered as the 4th dimension. However, this does not mean that time is a physical dimension like length, width, and height. Instead, it is a mathematical concept that helps us understand the relationship between space and time.

4. What is the significance of time being the 4th dimension?

The concept of time as the 4th dimension is significant because it helps us understand how gravity affects the motion of objects in space. It also allows us to visualize space and time as a unified entity, rather than two separate entities.

5. Is time travel possible through the space-time continuum?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time travel is theoretically possible in the space-time continuum. However, it would require immense amounts of energy and is currently not feasible with our current technology. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and debates about the possibility of time travel through the space-time continuum.