Einstein's formula for specific heat

In summary, the conversation is about a person working through a derivation of Einstein's formula for specific heat. They have been using Planck's assumption of quantised energy and the energy probability to get the total energy. The next step is where they are stuck and need ideas. One suggestion is to approach the problem by noticing similarities in the numerator and denominator of the expression, which can be simplified by considering them as geometric series.
Piano man
I'm working through a derivation of Einstein's formula for specific heat and I'm stuck.

So far I've been working off Planck's assumption of quantised energy [tex] E=n\hbar\omega [/tex] and the energy probability [tex] P(E)= e^{\frac{-E}{k_b T}} [/tex], using the fact that the mean expectation energy is [tex]\langle E \rangle= \frac{\sum_n E P(E)}{\sum_n P(E)}[/tex] to get total energy [tex]U=3N\langle E \rangle=\frac{3N\sum_n n\hbar\omega e^{-n\hbar\omega/k_b T}}{\sum_n e^{-n\hbar\omega/k_b T}}[/tex]

The next step is where my problem is. The derivation I am studying says the above expression is equal to [tex]3Nk_b T\left[\frac{\hbar\omega/k_b T}{e^{\hbar\omega/k_bT}-1}\right][/tex], which when differentiated wrt T gives the Einstein formula, but I don't see how that step is made.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't found how to derive the result from your way yet, but here is an idea:
The numerator is somewhat like [tex]A = e^{-1} + 2e^{-2} + ...[/tex] and the denominator is somewhat like [tex]B = 1 + e^{-1} + e^{-2} + ...[/tex]
Notice that: [tex]A = (B-1) + (B-1)e^{-1} + (B-1)e^{-2} + ...[/tex] and that B is a geometric series and easily computed.

Related to Einstein's formula for specific heat

What is Einstein's formula for specific heat?

Einstein's formula for specific heat is a mathematical equation that relates the specific heat of a substance to its atomic and molecular properties. It is given by C = 3R, where C is the specific heat, R is the gas constant, and 3 is a constant factor specific to the substance.

Why is Einstein's formula for specific heat important?

Einstein's formula for specific heat is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the heat energy of a substance and its atomic and molecular properties. It has also been used to explain various phenomena, such as the low-temperature heat capacity of solids and the heat capacity of gases.

How did Einstein come up with this formula?

Einstein's formula for specific heat was derived from his theory of specific heats, which was based on the assumption that atoms and molecules can only absorb or release energy in discrete units. He used statistical mechanics to calculate the average energy of a system, and from there derived the formula for specific heat.

What are the limitations of Einstein's formula for specific heat?

One limitation of Einstein's formula for specific heat is that it only applies to solids and gases, and not liquids or plasmas. Another limitation is that it does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics, which become significant at very low temperatures.

How is Einstein's formula for specific heat used in practical applications?

Einstein's formula for specific heat is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of refrigeration and heating systems. It is also used in materials science to understand the properties of different substances and in thermodynamics to calculate the heat exchange between systems.