Einstein's Epiphany of Constant Light Speed

In summary, Einstein first contemplated the idea that the speed of light was constant in all frames or reference in 1887 when studying electromagnetism. The concept did not fall from calculations - it was an observation that showed the speed of light is invariant.
thetexan
How did Einstein first contemplate the idea that the speed of light was constant in all frames or reference?
Did he say "I wonder what would happen if we considered light speed to be constant" in some kind of thought experiment. Did the concept fall serendipitously from the results of calculations?

I'm just wondering how it would occur to someone to think of that when additive velocities were just generally assumed. The very idea of a constant light speed was so bizarre in that realm of thought that I'm curious, especially when time being a linear constant was so accepted. I'm sure the story is out there but I can't find it.

tex

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea that the speed of light was constant actually predates Einstein I believe. If I remember correctly, it dates back to the mid-1800's when classical electrodynamics was developed fully and certain problems were noticed. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_special_relativity

thetexan said:
How did Einstein first contemplate the idea that the speed of light was constant in all frames or reference?
Did he say "I wonder what would happen if we considered light speed to be constant" in some kind of thought experiment. Did the concept fall serendipitously from the results of calculations?

I'm just wondering how it would occur to someone to think of that when additive velocities were just generally assumed. The very idea of a constant light speed was so bizarre in that realm of thought that I'm curious, especially when time being a linear constant was so accepted. I'm sure the story is out there but I can't find it.

tex
It was an observation. Experiments showed the speed of light is invariant.

Relativity was an explanation

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Physics Forums mobile app

thetexan said:

I think he claimed it came from his study of electromagnetism. If a loop of wire is moved relative to a stationary magnet a current arises in the wire. And if a magnet is moved relative to a stationary loop of wire a current arises in the wire. Einstein was able to show that these two interactions are the same, a symmetry that was lacking in the laws of electrodynamics.

Likes vanhees71
Mister T said:
I think he claimed it came from his study of electromagnetism. If a loop of wire is moved relative to a stationary magnet a current arises in the wire. And if a magnet is moved relative to a stationary loop of wire a current arises in the wire. Einstein was able to show that these two interactions are the same, a symmetry that was lacking in the laws of electrodynamics.
This is what I gathered from reading On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies.

Edit- might as well post it to save someone a google search.

https://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

Likes vanhees71

Related to Einstein's Epiphany of Constant Light Speed

What is Einstein's Epiphany of Constant Light Speed?

Einstein's Epiphany of Constant Light Speed refers to the moment when Albert Einstein realized that the speed of light is a universal constant, independent of the observer's frame of reference. This realization led to the development of his theory of special relativity.

Why is the constant speed of light important?

The constant speed of light is important because it is the foundation of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This has significant implications for our understanding of space, time, and the laws of physics.

How did Einstein arrive at the concept of a constant light speed?

Einstein arrived at the concept of a constant light speed through thought experiments and mathematical equations. He realized that the laws of physics, specifically the laws of electromagnetism, were the same for all observers, leading him to the conclusion that the speed of light must also be constant for all observers.

Does the concept of a constant light speed apply to all forms of light?

Yes, the concept of a constant light speed applies to all forms of light, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays. This is because all forms of light are electromagnetic waves and are subject to the laws of electromagnetism, which dictate a constant speed of light.

How has the concept of a constant light speed revolutionized our understanding of the universe?

The concept of a constant light speed has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by changing our perception of space and time. It has led to the development of theories such as special relativity and general relativity, which have fundamentally changed our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of the universe.