Einstein-de-Haas-Effect problem

• Thread starter substance90
  • Start date
In summary, the Einstein-de Haas effect is a phenomenon that links the circular motion of electrons around nuclei to the cause of ferromagnetism. In order to understand this effect, calculations involving magnetic moment, angular momentum, and torque must be made. In this problem, the angular velocity is being sought for a magnetized cylinder with known properties, in which the magnetic field is reversed. However, due to the lack of knowledge in quantum mechanics, a simple and approximate solution is expected.
substance90
I need some help with the (b) part of this problem concerning the so called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein%E2%80%93de_Haas_effect" .

Homework Statement

(a) On the search of the origin of ferromagnetism Einstein and de Haas came up with an experiment in 1915 to prove that circling electrons around nuclei are the cause. A rotating electron with a particular angular momentum L is a circular current and as such has a magnetic moment [tex]\mu[/tex]. Calculate the magnetic moment as a function of the angular momentum L, the charge q and the mass of the electron.

(b) When a piece of iron is magnetized it should according to (a) have an angular momentum [tex]L=\sum L_i \propto \sum \mu_i [/tex] If the magnetization is reversed so the angular momentum must reverse, too. Because of the conservation of angular momentum such a piece of iron should start to rotate.

A "soft iron" cylinder (Permeability [tex]\mu[/tex]=7000, Radius R=0.5cm, Density [tex]\rho = 7.9 grams/cm^3[/tex]) is magnetized so that the magnetic field on the flat side of the cylinder is B = 1 Tesla. What angular velocity should be expected if the magnetic field is reversed?

Homework Equations

From (a) I know that the magnetic moment [tex]\mu = \frac{-e}{2m} \ L[/tex]

* Magnetic moment generally: [tex]\mu = I A [/tex] (I = electric current, A = area)

* Angular momentum: [tex]\vec L = r \times p = I \omega[/tex] (I = moment of inertia)

* Torque: [tex]\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = r \times F = I \dot \omega[/tex]

* Torque (in terms of magnetism): [tex]\tau = \mu \times B[/tex]

* Moment of inertia of a cylinder: [tex]I = \frac{1}{2}M R^2[/tex]

* Moment of inertia circle: [tex]I = M R^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the atoms density in the material: [tex]N = \frac{N_a \rho}{m_a} = 8.487 \times 10^{22} \frac{Atoms}{cm^3}[/tex]
Then I substituted all that I have in [tex]\tau = \mu B[/tex] and I got:
[tex]I \dot \omega = N \frac{-e}{2m} L_i B[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \int_{0}^{t} N \frac{-e}{2m I} L_i B dt [/tex]

...and by here I figured this couldn`t be right. I tried a lot of slightly different versions always getting [tex]\omega[/tex] = some integral and never being able to cancel enough terms in order to get a numerical answer with my given conditions.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I cannot use spins etc because we still haven`t been into quantum mechanics. The answer should be really simple and not too realistic because this is still 2nd semester (Experimental physics 2).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I figured out that I wasn`t getting any answers because my problem was stated too lazily so I have rewritten my whole first post. It took quite some time getting used to the Latex language.

Related to Einstein-de-Haas-Effect problem

What is the Einstein-de-Haas-Effect problem?

The Einstein-de-Haas-Effect problem refers to a phenomenon in which the magnetization of a ferromagnetic material changes when it is rotated in a magnetic field. This effect was first described by Albert Einstein and Wander Johannes de Haas in 1915.

What causes the Einstein-de-Haas-Effect?

The Einstein-de-Haas-Effect is caused by the interaction between the magnetic moments of the electrons in the material and an external magnetic field. When the material is rotated, the magnetic moments align in the direction of the field, causing a change in the overall magnetization.

How is the Einstein-de-Haas-Effect measured?

The Einstein-de-Haas-Effect can be measured by suspending a ferromagnetic material in a torsion pendulum and applying a magnetic field. As the material is rotated, the pendulum will experience a torque due to the change in magnetization, which can be measured with sensitive instruments.

What are the real-world applications of the Einstein-de-Haas-Effect?

The Einstein-de-Haas-Effect has been used in the development of highly sensitive magnetometers and gyroscopes. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and their applications in technology.

Are there any limitations to the Einstein-de-Haas-Effect?

One limitation of the Einstein-de-Haas-Effect is that it only occurs in ferromagnetic materials, so it cannot be applied to all types of materials. Additionally, the effect is relatively small and can be overshadowed by other factors, making it challenging to measure accurately.