I can't get the hang of those graphs

• Thread starter Smelly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation revolves around a math assignment that involves finding the greatest velocity and creating a velocity-time graph from a displacement-time graph. The person asking for help was initially looking for a complicated solution but eventually realized that it was a simple process involving finding the derivative of the position function and the slope of the tangent line. The conversation also touches on the concept of velocity being the change in position over time.
Smelly
I have this maths assignment and the first part I can't do. I've been searching the net for help until I found this site so hopefully you smarties can help me.
I was given a dispacement time graph and from it I have to find when velocity was greatest and create a velocity time graph from the displacement time graph. HOW?

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is the change in position over time.

What component of a position/time graph could you extract that from?

Since you posted this under "calculus", I presume you know that velocity is the derivative of the position function. You should also know that the derivative is the slope of the tangent line.

Okay- greatest velocity means greatest derivative means steepest tangent line.

I found out how to do it today when I discussed it with a friend. I was just looking for a more complicated answer then what the answer actually was. I thought there was some weird way I hadn't learned yet to find the answer like a different process that makes the answer more exact but I was wrong. I always do that and then realize that the answer was simple all along. I'm crazy. But your info still helped me so thanks a lot you guys and sorry to bother you.

1. Why do I need to use graphs in my research?

Graphs are an important tool in scientific research because they allow you to visually represent and analyze data. This can help you to identify patterns, trends, and relationships in your data that may not be apparent from just looking at numbers or text.

2. What are the different types of graphs and when should I use them?

There are several types of graphs, including bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. The type of graph you use will depend on the type of data you have and the question you are trying to answer. For example, bar graphs are useful for comparing categorical data, while line graphs are better for showing trends over time.

3. How do I interpret the data on a graph?

The first step in interpreting a graph is to read the labels and understand what the axes represent. The x-axis usually represents the independent variable and the y-axis represents the dependent variable. Next, look at the units of measurement and the scale of the axes to understand the magnitude of the data. Finally, analyze the shape and pattern of the data points to draw conclusions about the relationship between the variables.

4. How can I make my graphs more visually appealing?

To make your graphs more visually appealing, you can use colors, labels, and titles to make the information easier to understand and more engaging. You can also use different types of graphs or incorporate images or icons to make the data more interesting and memorable.

5. What software can I use to create graphs for my research?

There are many software options for creating graphs, including Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, and specialized programs like SPSS or R. It is important to choose a software that is user-friendly and has the features you need to create and customize your graphs effectively.