Why can't a freezer keep ice cream frozen?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why a freezer can keep ice hard and cold but not ice cream is because different substances have different freezing points. The ingredients in ice cream, such as fat and sugar, prevent it from freezing properly. Additionally, when ice cream is melted and refrozen, the two phases of water and fat can separate, causing it to become hard and icy. It is not recommended to refreeze melted ice cream due to potential bacterial growth.
Euphoriet
Why would a freezer keep ice hard and cold.. while it can't keep ice cream

Physics news on Phys.org
I have very vague Chemistry knowledge. I'll give you something though until one of the brilliant people on the forums can more accurately explain it.

Different things have different freezing points. These freezing points are based on what they are made of and other things. I'm guessing the thickness of the Ice Cream is one of the reasons it doesn't keep.

Dooga, you're close. It's not the thickness, but the ingredients in ice cream, the fat, the sugar, etc...

i always thought the reason why water was a great habitat was because it changed temps. slowly (took more energy to do it then on most substances)... =-P i guess it makes sense that strawberry ice cream with jugar is harder to freeze
thanks

Ok, so what's up with ice cream (or soy ice cream as the case may be) being all funky after it melts and then is re-frozen? It gets hard and icy and yucky. It's still the same ingredients, but it just doesn't freeze the same.

Icecream is a colloid, a mixture of water and fat. The fat in it stops it from freezing, that's why fat-free ice-cream doesn't really exist, and the ones who are low on fat aren't as creamy/tasty. The reason it becomes yucky after refreezing is that the two phases have started to separate. I wouldn't refreeze molten icecream anyway, bacteria love it and there is a chance you might get sick if you leave it out too long a second time.

1. What is a "Freezer Question"?

A "Freezer Question" refers to a common experiment in which a researcher places a small object or substance in a freezer and observes how it changes over time when exposed to extreme cold temperatures.

2. Why is the "Freezer Question" experiment useful?

The "Freezer Question" experiment is useful because it allows scientists to study the effects of extreme cold temperatures on various materials, which can provide insights into their properties and potential applications.

3. What types of materials are typically used in a "Freezer Question" experiment?

A wide range of materials can be used in a "Freezer Question" experiment, from common household items such as food and water, to more specialized materials like metals, plastics, and biological samples.

4. How long does a "Freezer Question" experiment typically last?

The duration of a "Freezer Question" experiment can vary depending on the specific research question being investigated. Some experiments may only last a few hours, while others may span several days or even weeks.

5. What are some possible outcomes of a "Freezer Question" experiment?

The outcomes of a "Freezer Question" experiment can vary depending on the materials used and the conditions of the experiment. Some possible outcomes include changes in physical properties (such as freezing, expansion, or crystallization), chemical reactions, and potential damage or degradation of the material.