Eigenvalue problem what am i doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation was focused on solving the eigenvalue problem for a spin 1 particle and finding the eigenvectors. The initial approach used matrices for Sx, Sy, and Sz, but the eigenvalues were incorrect. It was suggested to divide Sx and Sy by sqrt(2) in order to get the correct eigenvalues. The conversation also mentioned the rotation matrix for the operator S*n and how it can be used to find the new eigenvectors.
qqchico
This is for a spin 1 particle. I can't get the determinant to come out right. Can someone show me what i am doing wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
S*n=[tex]\hbar/\sqrt{2}[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)&SIN(\theta)·COS(\phi) - iSIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)&0\\SIN(\theta)·COS(\phi) + i·\SIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)&0&SIN(\theta)·\COS(\phi) - i·SIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)\\0&\SIN(\theta)·COS(\phi) + i·SIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)&-\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
this is supposed to be a 3x3 matrices but it wouldn't fit

Where you have {cc} in the code, it should be {ccc} for 3 columns. Also, you use \cos \sin, etc for those functions.

[tex]\hbar/\sqrt{2}[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)&e^(^-^\imath^\phi^)SIN(\theta)&0\\e^(^\imath^\phi^)SIN(\theta)&0&e^-^(^\imath^\phi^)SIN(\theta)\\0&SIN(\theta)e^(^\imath^\phi^)&-\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)\end{array}\right )[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\(A&\\B\\C\end{array}\right)[/tex]=[tex]\hbar/\sqrt{2}[/tex] [tex]*\lambda[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\(A&\\B\\C\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I then set the determinant equal to 0 subtracted lamda across the diagonals to get

det [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)-\lambda&e^(^-^\imath^\phi^)SIN(\theta)&0\\e^(^\imath^\phi^)SIN(\theta)&-\lambda&e^-^(^\imath^\phi^)SIN(\theta)\\0&SIN(\theta)e^(^\imath^\phi^)&-\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)-\lambda\end{array}\right )[/tex]=0

but i get the wrong answer. where am i messing up? :frown:

Last edited:
Post the actual wording of the question and the rest of your working, so we can see.

Solve the eigenvalue problem Sn[tex]|\lambda>[/tex]=[tex]\lambda|\lambda>[/tex] for a spin 1 particle. Find the eigenvectors. I actually have the eigenvectors. I just need to show how to get them

Last edited:
When I solve the determinant i get [tex]2\lambda-\lambda^3=0[/tex]

What happened to the [itex]\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]? It's not in your expression for the determinant. Also remember to multiply each entry by that factor before subtracting [itex]\lamba I[/itex].

EDIT: I got [itex]\lambda \hbar^2-\lambda^3=0[/itex] as the characteristic equation.

Last edited:
but wouldn't the [tex]\hbar/\sqrt{2}[/tex] cancel out because of the other across the equal sign

Last edited:
Anyone? I really need help this is due tomorrow.

What does that matrix represent ?

Daniel.

Why is there another one across the equal sign? It shouldn't be there if you were just calculating the eigenvalues of the matrix Sn.

Please post the wording of the question.

S= sin operator S*n for a spin 1 particle where Shat is equal to Sxihat+Syjhat+Szkhat

and nhatis equal to [tex]\sin\theta\cos\phi(i)+sin\theta\sin\phi(j)+\cos\theta\\(k)[/tex]

multiply the together to get

[tex]\sin\theta\cos\phi(Sx)+sin\theta\sin\phi(Sy)+\cos\theta\\(Sz)[/tex]

[tex]Sx=[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&1&0\\1&0&1\\0&1&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]Sy=[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&i&0\\i&0&-i\\0&i&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]Sz=[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&-1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

plugged into [tex]\sin\theta\cos\phi(Sx)+sin\theta\sin\phi(Sy)+\cos\theta\\(Sz)[/tex]

and solved to get my initial equation

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)&SIN(\theta)·COS(\phi) - iSIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)&0\\SIN(\theta)·COS(\phi) + i·\SIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)&0&SIN(\theta)·\COS(\phi) - i·SIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)\\0&\SIN(\theta)·COS(\phi) + i·SIN(\theta)·SIN(\phi)&-\sqrt{2}·COS(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The question is solve the eigenvalue problem to show that the eigen vectors are given by and then they give me what the eigenvectors are supposed to be for the spin one particle

we did some for spin 1/2 particles but it was rushed I've had to teach myself and there are no tutors for this since there are only 3 people at my school who have taken it me and 2 girls and they are as lost as i am. The way i did it was the way we did it for the spin 1/2

[tex]|1,1>\mapsto[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}(e^(^-^i^\phi^)(1+cos\theta))/2\\(sin\theta)/\sqrt{2}\\e^i^\phi(1-cos\theta)/2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]|1,0>\mapsto[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-e^(^i^\phi^)(sin\theta)/\sqrt{2}\\(cos\theta)\\(e^i^\phi\sin\theta/\sqrt{2}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]|1,-1>\mapsto[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}e^(^-^i^\phi^)(1-cos\theta)/2\\-(sin\theta)/\sqrt{2}\\e^i^\phi(1+cos\theta)/2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

these are what my answer should turn out to be

Last edited:
Hmm,okay,no wonder it doesn't appear in the formal theory of angular momentum.
The spin matrices are missing hbar & the sqrt of 2.It's less relevant.

[tex] \left(\hat{\vec{S}}\cdot\vec{n}\right)|\psi\rangle =\lambda|\psi\rangle [/tex]

Which means

[tex] \left(\hat{\vec{S}}\cdot\vec{n}-\lambda \hat{1}\right)|\psi\rangle=0 [/tex]

,i.e.

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\left\sqrt{2}\cos\theta -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\hbar}\lambda & e^{-i\phi}\sin\theta & 0\\e^{i\phi}\sin\theta & -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\hbar}\lambda & e^{-i\phi}\sin\theta \\0 & e^{i\phi}\sin\theta} & -\sqrt{2}\cos\theta -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\hbar}\lambda \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}\psi_{1}\\ \psi_{2}\\ \psi_{3}\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{array}\right) [/tex]

with the characteristic polynomial

[tex] P(\lambda)=-\lambda^{3}\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\hbar^{3}}+\lambda\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\hbar}=0 [/tex]

whose eigenvalues are

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{c}\lambda_{1}=+\hbar\\ \lambda_{2}=0 \\ \lambda_{3}=-\hbar\end{array} \right [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
Another way of putting what Daniel just said is to note that your [tex]S_x[/tex] and [tex]S_y[/tex] matrices did not have the proper eigenvalues for spin-1 matrices. Their eigenvalues were instead [tex]-\sqrt{2}, 0, +\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Your approach to the problem was correct. Redo it with [tex]S_x[/tex] and [tex]S_y[/tex] divided by [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], and you will get the right answers.

Carl

The initial vectors if the stansard basis were

[tex] |1,1\rangle =\left(\begin{array}{c} 1\\0\\0\end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex] |1,0\rangle =\left(\begin{array}{c} 0\\1\\0\end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex] |1,-1\rangle =\left(\begin{array}{c} 0\\0\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex]

Now,the operator [itex] \hat{\vec{S}}\cdot\vec{n} [/itex] accomplishes a rotation of each of those vectors.Follwing [1],the rotation matrix is

[tex] \mathcal{D}^{(1)}_{m,m'}\left(\alpha,\beta,\gamma\right)=\left(\begin{array}{ccc} \frac{1+\cos\beta}{2}e^{-i(\alpha+\gamma)} & -\frac{\sin\beta}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-i\alpha} & \frac{1-\cos\beta}{2}e^{-i(\alpha-\gamma)} \\ \frac{\sin\beta}{\sqrt{2}} e^{-i\gamma} & \cos\beta & -\frac{\sin\beta}{\sqrt{2}} e^{i\gamma} \\ \frac{1-\cos\beta}{2}e^{i(\alpha-\gamma)} & \frac{\sin\beta}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i\alpha} & \frac{1+\cos\beta}{\sqrt{2}} e^{i(\alpha+\gamma)} \end{array}\right) [/tex]

with the adjustments

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{c} \alpha\longrightarrow \phi \\ \beta\longrightarrow \theta \\ \gamma\longrightarrow 0 \end{array} \right [/tex]

Apply the rotation matrix on each of the standard basis vectors and you'll get the new vectors.

Check they are eigenvectors for the initial matrix.

Daniel.

-----------------------------------------------------------
[1]Galindo & Pascual,"Quantum Mechanics I",Springer Verlag,1990.

Last edited:

Related to Eigenvalue problem what am i doing wrong?

1. What is an eigenvalue problem?

An eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and associated eigenvectors of a given matrix. It is an important concept in linear algebra and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the significance of solving an eigenvalue problem?

Solving an eigenvalue problem allows us to understand the behavior of a system or process, as well as to make predictions about its future behavior. It also helps us in determining the stability and equilibrium points of a system.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving an eigenvalue problem?

Some common mistakes include:

• Not understanding the concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors properly.
  • Not checking the dimensionality of the matrix before attempting to solve.
  • Not following the correct steps or methods for solving the problem.
  • Forgetting to normalize the eigenvectors.

4. How can I check if I have solved an eigenvalue problem correctly?

One way to check your solution is to verify that the eigenvalues and eigenvectors you have obtained satisfy the eigenvalue equation: Av = λv, where A is the matrix, v is the eigenvector, and λ is the eigenvalue. You can also check if the eigenvectors are orthogonal and if the eigenvalues are real.

5. Are there any tips for solving eigenvalue problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving eigenvalue problems more efficiently include:

• Make sure you understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem.
  • Use appropriate software or calculators to handle large matrices.
  • Practice solving different types of eigenvalue problems to improve your skills.
  • Use shortcuts or tricks, such as exploiting symmetry, to simplify the calculations.