Help with Constant Acceleration Lab

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a lab that involves determining the initial velocity and maximum height of a thrown and hit ball. The student is confused about which equation to use and how to find the height of the thrown ball. The expert advises the student to think about the relationship between the time and the total movement of the ball, as well as what happens to the velocity at the highest spot of its orbit. The expert encourages the student to think and solve the problem on their own.
daodude1987
[SOLVED] Help with Constant Acceleration Lab

Hey guys, thanks for reading my post. I'm really confused about a lab that was assigned by my teacher. I will try to explain the whole lab the best I can.

Lab: The Balls Lab

Purpose of the Lab: To determine the initial velocity (Vo) and maximum height (dy) of a thrown (and hit) ball

Procedure/Materials:
Materials: tennis ball, tennis racket, stop watch
1. Throw a ball straight up into the air
2. Measure the time the ball is in the air and comes down
3. Due three trials

Data: (here are the 3 time results I got for the ball)
Throwing
Trial 1- 3.21 seconds
Trial 2- 3.10 seconds
Trial 3- 2.94 seconds
Average- 3.08 seconds

Hitting the ball with tennis racket
Trial 1- 1.41 seconds
Trial 2- 2.88 seconds
Trial 3- 1.87 seconds
Average- 2.05 seconds

Conclusion:
Ok here is the problem... I have no clue how to start solving for the initial velocity (Vo) for the average of the ball thrown and hit in the air. At first I thought the initial velocity of the thrown ball was 0 because that is usually the velocity of any object at rest and then going into the air. But my teacher said it wasn't because he wanted the intial velocity from when it left my hand not when it is at rest, which is 0. He also told me that I needed to use one of the equations of motion for constant acceleration such as: Vf=Vo+at, d=1\2(Vf+Vo)t, d=Vo=1/2at(squared), or 2ad=(Vf)squared-(Vo)squared and the acceleration of gravity, -10 m/s to solve for Vo. But he wasn't clear on which one. Also it seems to me that each of these equation require the value of Vo itself! I am also very confused at how to find the height of the thrown ball (dy) because y is not given as a variable in any of these equations.

If you guys can show me how I can solve for the initial velocity (Vo) and the maximum height(dy) of the of the ball thrown using any of the equations above or even your own methods, please enlighten me with you explanation. I am most grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Initial velocity:
You must think what is the relation between the time that the ball goes up and the total time of the movement you have measured. Then you must think what happens to the velocity of the ball when it reaches the highest spot of its orbit. With the above data and the proper equation of motion you can calculate the initial velocity.

Height of the throw:
You have calculated the initial velocity so the only thing you need is the time that the ball needed to get from your hand to its highest spot.

Sorry, I don’t give you the exact equations and values of time and velocity but if you fallow the steps I have written above I am sure that you will solve the problem by your own. You must think if you want to gain knowledge and on the other hand you will feel so great when you find the solution.

Excuse me for the sermon.

What is the purpose of a Constant Acceleration Lab?

The purpose of a Constant Acceleration Lab is to observe and measure the motion of an object undergoing constant acceleration. This can help us understand the laws of motion and how different factors, such as mass and force, affect an object's acceleration.

What equipment is needed for a Constant Acceleration Lab?

The equipment needed for a Constant Acceleration Lab may vary depending on the specific experiment, but typically includes a ramp, a timer or stopwatch, a measuring tape or ruler, and an object to roll down the ramp. Additional equipment such as motion sensors or data collection devices may also be used.

How is constant acceleration calculated in a lab?

Constant acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity of an object by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This calculation is often repeated multiple times and the average acceleration is calculated to minimize errors.

What are some sources of error in a Constant Acceleration Lab?

Sources of error in a Constant Acceleration Lab can include human error in timing or measuring, friction on the ramp or surface, air resistance, and imprecise equipment. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.

How can the data from a Constant Acceleration Lab be interpreted and used?

The data from a Constant Acceleration Lab can be used to plot a velocity versus time graph, which can help visualize the object's acceleration. It can also be used to calculate other quantities, such as displacement and average velocity. Additionally, the data can be compared to theoretical values and used to support or refute scientific theories and laws.