Eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum?

In summary, we can have eigenstates of energy and not angular momentum, but it is more common and useful to have eigenstates of both simultaneously.
Jerrynap
In a simple case of hydrogen, we can have simultaneous eigenstate of energy, angular momentum [itex] L_z, \hat{\vec{L}^2} [/itex]. I'm thinking of constructing a state that is an eigenstate of energy but not the angular momentum:

[itex]
\left | \Psi \right > = c_1\left |n,l_1,m_1 \right > + c_2\left |n,l_2,m_2 \right>
[/itex]

In this particular state, when I measure the energy, the state is left unchanged. So it is an energy eigenstate. However, when I measure the angular momentum, the state collapses into either [itex] l_1 [/itex] or [itex] l_2 [/itex], and subsequent measurements of the angular momentum and energy will leave the state unchanged. So the original state is not an eigenstate of angular momentum.

My question is that, we are always talking about simultaneous eigenstate of two commuting operators, but are we free to choose the set of basis that are eigenstates of one operator and not the other? This seems to be true only if we have degeneracies.

Physics news on Phys.org
My question is that, we are always talking about simultaneous eigenstate of two commuting operators, but are we free to choose the set of basis that are eigenstates of one operator and not the other?
You can choose a basis that has no eigenstates of any relevant operator - but there is no reason to do so, it just makes things more complicated. Eigenstates are nice, so bases are usually chosen to include the eigenstates for as many relevant operators as possible.

Related to Eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum?

1. What is an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum?

An eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum is a quantum state in which the energy of a system is well-defined, but the angular momentum is not. This means that the system has a definite energy value, but it could have multiple possible values for angular momentum.

2. How is an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum different from other quantum states?

An eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum is different from other quantum states because it has a well-defined energy value, while other states may have a range of possible energy values. Additionally, the angular momentum of these states is not constant and can vary.

3. What are some examples of systems that can have an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum?

Some examples of systems that can have an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum include a particle in a potential well, a hydrogen atom in an excited state, and a spin-1/2 particle in a magnetic field.

4. How does the concept of superposition apply to an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, superposition refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states at the same time. In the case of an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum, the system can exist in multiple states with different angular momentum values, but with the same energy value.

5. Can an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum change over time?

Yes, an eigenstate of energy but not angular momentum can change over time. This is because the angular momentum of the system is not fixed, but can fluctuate between different values while the energy remains constant. This is known as quantum tunneling or quantum fluctuations.