Eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy eigenstates and eigenvalues for a 3D harmonic oscillator with a specific potential. The energy eigenvalue is found to be the sum of three individual energy values for each axis. The eigenstate is expressed as the product of three separate wavefunctions, but the method for finding these wavefunctions is not known. Separation of variables is suggested as a method for solving the problem.
JordanGo

Homework Statement

A 3D harmonic oscillator has the following potential:

[itex] V(x,y,z) = \frac{1}{2}m( \varpi_{x}^2x^2 + \varpi_{y}^2y^2 + \varpi_{z}^2z^2) [/itex]

Find the energy eigenstates and energy eigenvalues for this system.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the energy eigenvalue to be:

[itex] E = E_{x} + E_{y} + E_{z} [/itex]

[itex] E = \hbar((n_{x}+\frac{1}{2})\varpi_{x} + (n_{y}+\frac{1}{2})\varpi_{y} + (n_{z}+\frac{1}{2})\varpi_{z}) [/itex]

Now I know that the eigenstate is:

[itex] \Psi = \Psi_{x} \times \Psi_{y} \times \Psi_{z} [/itex]

But I don't know how to find ψx, ψy or ψz.

Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey JordanGo.
Try writing down your 3-D Schrödinger equation and use separation of variables.

How did you find the energy eigenvalues? It seems to me if you can figure those out correctly, it's pretty straightforward to see how to get the eigenstates. Show your work so far.

Related to Eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator

What is an eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator?

An eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator is a wavefunction that describes the state of a particle in a three-dimensional potential well. It is a stationary state, meaning that it does not change with time, and it is characterized by a specific energy level.

How is an eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator different from a classical harmonic oscillator?

An eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator is a quantum mechanical concept, while a classical harmonic oscillator is a classical mechanical concept. In quantum mechanics, the energy levels are discrete and the particle's position and momentum cannot be known precisely, while in classical mechanics, the energy levels are continuous and the particle's position and momentum can be known with certainty.

How is the energy of an eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator related to its quantum numbers?

The energy of an eigenstate for a 3D harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the sum of its quantum numbers. The quantum numbers determine the size, shape, and orientation of the wavefunction and, in turn, the energy of the state.

What is the significance of degeneracy in the eigenstates of a 3D harmonic oscillator?

Degeneracy in the eigenstates of a 3D harmonic oscillator means that multiple states have the same energy level. This can occur when the quantum numbers of two or more states have the same sum. Degeneracy is an important concept in quantum mechanics and can have implications for the behavior of particles in a system.

How are eigenstates for a 3D harmonic oscillator used in practical applications?

Eigenstates for a 3D harmonic oscillator are used in many practical applications, such as modeling molecular vibrations and electronic energy levels in atoms. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in potential wells, which has implications in fields such as quantum computing and materials science.