Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Eigenspace is a subspace of V - ψ is diagonalizable

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
We have that $$\psi(v)=0 \Rightarrow \phi \left (\psi(v)\right )=\phi (0) \Rightarrow \left (\phi\circ\psi\right )(v)=0 \Rightarrow \left (\psi\circ\phi\right )(v)=0\Rightarrow \psi\left ( \phi(v)\right )=0$$ Does this help?
Not really.
We have to find $n$ independent eigenvectors for $\psi$ don't we?
Is $v$ an eigenvector of $\psi$? 🤔

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Not really.
We have to find $n$ independent eigenvectors for $\psi$ don't we?
Is $v$ an eigenvector of $\psi$? 🤔
I got stuck right now. How could we do that? :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
For that we have to show that $\psi(v)=\lambda v$.
Let's not call it $\lambda$ to avoid confusion with the $\lambda$ we already have. Let's call the eigenvalue $\mu$.
So we have to show that $\psi(v)=\mu v$... (Sweating)

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Let's not call it $\lambda$ to avoid confusion with the $\lambda$ we already have. Let's call the eigenvalue $\mu$.
So we have to show that $\psi(v)=\mu v$... (Sweating)
We have that $\phi (v)=\lambda v \Rightarrow v=\phi (v)\lambda^{-1}$. Then we get $\psi (v)=\psi \left (\phi (v)\lambda^{-1}\right )\Rightarrow \psi (v)=\lambda^{-1} \phi \left (\psi (v)\right )$.

That doesn't help us, does it? :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
We have that $\phi (v)=\lambda v \Rightarrow v=\phi (v)\lambda^{-1}$. Then we get $\psi (v)=\psi \left (\phi (v)\lambda^{-1}\right )\Rightarrow \psi (v)=\lambda^{-1} \phi \left (\psi (v)\right )$.

That doesn't help us, does it?
That's not necessarily true is it? Suppose $\lambda=0$, then $\lambda^{-1}$ is not defined. :eek:

We have that $\psi(v)=0$.
Can we find a scalar $\mu$ such that $\psi(v)=\mu v$? 🤨

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
It means that $v$ is an eigenvector of $\psi$ with eigenvalue $0$ instead of eigenvalue $\lambda$. 😲
For $\phi$ there are $n$ distinct eigenvalues $\lambda_i$'s and the corresponding eigenvectors $v_i$'s.
We want to show that each $v_i$ is also an eigenvector of $\psi$ for some eigenvalue $\mu$.
We shown that
\begin{equation*}\psi \left (\phi (v)\right )=\psi \left (\lambda v\right )\Rightarrow \left (\psi \circ \phi \right )(v)=\lambda \psi \left ( v\right )\Rightarrow \left (\phi\circ\psi \right )(v)=\lambda \psi \left ( v\right ) \Rightarrow \phi \left (\psi(v) \right )=\lambda \psi \left ( v\right )\end{equation*}
If $\psi (v)\ne 0$ then $\psi (v)$ is also an eigenvector for $\lambda$, i.e. $\psi (v)\in \text{Eig}(\phi, \lambda)$.
If $\psi (v)=0$ then the corresponding eigenvalue is $0$.

Is everything correct so far? Or am I thinking in a wrong way for that question? :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
If $\psi (v)\ne 0$ then $\psi (v)$ is also an eigenvector for $\lambda$, i.e. $\psi (v)\in \text{Eig}(\phi, \lambda)$.
If $\psi (v)=0$ then the corresponding eigenvalue is $0$.

Is everything correct so far? Or am I thinking in a wrong way for that question?
All correct. (Nod)

Btw, $\psi (v)\in \text{Eig}(\phi, \lambda)$ holds in both cases, i.e. it does not distinguish the first case from the second. 🧐

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
All correct. (Nod)

Btw, $\psi (v)\in \text{Eig}(\phi, \lambda)$ holds in both cases, i.e. it does not distinguish the first case from the second. 🧐
But how does it follow from that that the numbers of distinct eigenvectors is $n$ ?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
But how does it follow from that that the numbers of distinct eigenvectors is $n$ ?
$\phi$ has $n$ distinct eigenvalues $\lambda_i$ with corresponding eigenvectors $v_i$.
The set of those eigenvectors is consequently an independent set of $n$ vectors.
Therefore the $v_i$ form a basis of $V$. 🤔

The same eigenvectors are also eigenvectors of $\psi$ aren't they?
They just don't necessarily have the same eigenvalues, and there are not necessarily $n$ distinct eigenvalues any more.
That is, $0$ can be an eigenvalue with multiplicity greater than 1.
Either way, they still form a basis of $V$, don't they? 🤠