Eigenfunctions and Boundary Conditions for $$\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(xy) - λxy=0$$

In summary, we are given a differential equation of the form $\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(xy) - λxy=0$ and are asked to show that the eigenfunctions are $y_{n}=\frac{\sin(n\pi x)}{x}$, with corresponding eigenvalues $-n^2$. To do this, we can let $u=xy$ and solve the resulting SHM equation $u''=\lambda u$, which yields the solution $u=A\cos(\omega x) + B\sin(\omega x)$, where $\omega = \sqrt{-\lambda}$. The boundary condition that $y$ is regular at $x=0$ leads to the conclusion that $
Poirot1
consider $$\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(xy) - λxy=0$$. Show eigenfunctions are $$y_{n}=\frac{\sin(n\pi x)}{x}$$. Boundary conditions are y(1)=0 and y regular at x=0

I integrated twice to obtain $$6xy=λx^3y+6Ax+6B$$ where A,B constants. I can't apply the condition y is regular because I don't know what it means pratically. Besides, I can't see how I can get the required solution from this equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "twice integrating" is invalid, because you don't know what $y$ is, aside from being a function of $x$. I suggest letting a new function $u=u(x)=xy(x)$. Then the DE becomes $u''=\lambda u$. What are the solutions of that DE?

Can't help you with the "regular at $x=0$", other than it sounds like something to do with differentiability at the origin.

It says, as a boundary condition, y(x) must be regular at the singular point x=0. I see my mistake integrating, I was treating y as a constant w.r.t x.

I've got a line on the "regularity" thing. Solve the DE I posted in my previous post. What do you get?

ok so characteristic equation is m^2=λ, so 3 cases to consider. λ=0, λ<0 and λ>0. I can solve when I know boundary conditions.

You are not asked to solve the equation- you are given a possible solution and asked to show that it does, in fact, satisfy the differential equation. That requires that you differentiate the given function, not integrate anything.

You're wrong. It asks 'show that the eigenfuctions are ...' i.e you have to show there are no others.

Poirot said:
You're wrong. It asks 'show that the eigenfuctions are ...' i.e you have to show there are no others.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have to show uniqueness. Eigenvectors, for example, are not unique. In fact, a scalar times an eigenvector is an eigenvector. Similarly, in this case, at the very least, a constant times an eigenfunction is an eigenfunction. Moreover, I think you show that the functions $e^{in\pi x}/x$ are eigenfunctions.

Following Ackbach's comment #2 above, let $u=xy$. Then $u''=\lambda u$. That is an SHM equation with solution $u=A\cos(\omega x) + B\sin(\omega x)$, where $\omega = \sqrt{-\lambda}$.

Thus $y = \dfrac{A\cos(\omega x) + B\sin(\omega x)}x$. The boundary condition that $y$ is regular at $x=0$ means that $y$ should not go to infinity at $x=0$. That tells you that $A=0$. The other boundary condition $y(1)=0$ then tells you that $\omega=n\pi$ for some integer $n$. Therefore the eigenfunctions are $\dfrac{\sin(n\pi x)}x$, with corresponding eigenvalues $-n^2$.

Related to Eigenfunctions and Boundary Conditions for $$\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(xy) - λxy=0$$

1. What are eigenfunctions in the context of this equation?

Eigenfunctions are special functions that satisfy the given differential equation and its boundary conditions. In other words, they are the solutions to the equation for which a constant, known as the eigenvalue, can be factored out.

2. What is the significance of the eigenvalue in this equation?

The eigenvalue represents the constant that is factored out of the equation when an eigenfunction is found. It is a crucial part of the solution and determines the behavior of the eigenfunction.

3. How do boundary conditions affect the eigenfunctions in this equation?

Boundary conditions provide constraints on the eigenfunctions, limiting the possible solutions to the equation. The eigenfunctions must satisfy both the equation and the given boundary conditions.

4. Can this equation have multiple eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Yes, this equation can have multiple eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. Each eigenvalue corresponds to a different eigenfunction that satisfies the equation and boundary conditions.

5. How are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues used in practical applications?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and structural analysis. They allow for the analysis and understanding of complex systems and their behavior.