Eigenfunction of electron in E and B fields

Okay, I think I finally have it... If I define:a_x\equiv\frac{1}{\sqrt{2m}}\left(p_x+\frac{qB}{c}y'\right)Then I can rewrite the Hamiltonian as: H=\hbar\omega\left(a_x^\dagger a_x+\frac{1}{2}\right)+\frac{\hbar\omega}{2}\left(a_x+a_x^\dagger\right)+p_x\frac{\varepsilon c}{B}-\frac{mc^2\varepsilon^2}{2B^2}Where \omega=\frac{qB}{mc}, which is a constant. Now I just have to figure
Yaelcita

Homework Statement

Consider a free electron in a constant magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}=B\hat{z}[/tex] and a perpendicular electric field [tex]\vec{E}=\varepsilon\hat{y}[/tex]. Find the energy eigenvalues and eigenfunctions in terms of harmonic oscillator eigenfunctions
Hint: Use Landau gauge [tex]\vec{A}=-By\hat{x}[/tex]

What I actually don't understand is at the end... read on

Homework Equations

The Hamiltonian of a charged particle in an external em field is
[tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec{p}-\frac{q}{c}\vec{A}\right)^2+q\phi[/tex]
The hint says to use [tex]\vec{A}=-By\hat{x}[/tex] and since [tex]\vec{E}=-\nabla\phi[/tex] I can make [tex]\phi=-\varepsilon y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plug in expressions for A and [tex]\phi[/tex] into H, which gives
[tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left(p_x^2+p_y^2+p_z^2+\left(\frac{qB}{c}\right)^2y^2+\frac{qB}{c}p_x y\right)-q\varepsilon y[/tex]

I know I just have to play around with this expression to make it look like a harmonic oscillator, but I have no idea how... In another problem that I solved, I used an A potential with both an x and a y components, but I didn't have the scalar potential in that case. It's that term that ruins everything!

Any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
The scalar potential, which is just proportional to y, should only serve to change your equilibrium position for your harmonic oscillator. Kind of like gravity acting on a spring. I think you can make coordinate transformations to this new equilibrium position.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but see if you can do something with it.

Ok, let's see...

Let [tex] y=y'+\frac{\varepsilon m c^2}{q B^2}[/tex]. Now the Hamiltonian reads (ignoring the unimportant parts):

[tex] H&=&\frac{1}{2m}\left(p_x+\frac{qB}{c}\left(y'+\frac{\varepsilon mc^2}{qB^2}\right)\right)^2-q\varepsilon\left(y'+\frac{\varepsilon mc^2}{qB^2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]&=& \frac{1}{2m}\left(p_x+\frac{qB}{c}y'+\frac{\varepsilon mc}{B}\right)^2-q\varepsilon y'-\frac{\varepsilon^2mc^2}{B^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2m}\left(p_x+\frac{qB}{c}y'\right)^2+\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{\varepsilon c}{B}\right)^2+\left(p_x+\frac{qB}{c}y'\right)\frac{\varepsilon c}{B}-q\varepsilon y'-\frac{\varepsilon^2 mc^2}{B^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2m}\left(p_x+\frac{qB}{c}y'\right)^2-\frac{mc^2\varepsilon^2}{2B^2}+p_x\frac{\varepsilon c}{B}[/tex]

I think I know what to do with the stuff in parenthesis, but I don't know how to get rid of the constant term and the [tex]p_x[/tex] term... Do they matter? I guess I don't really know how to continue after all...

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow your substitution (also, where'd all the py and pz's go?). Actually, the momentum in the y direction is the momentum you want to couple with the y's to get a harmonic oscillator.

Hmm, perhaps someone better at this can help you. It's been a while since I've actually worked out problems like this.

Matterwave said:
(also, where'd all the py and pz's go?)

I just didn't write it, since I was working only with those two terms...

Matterwave said:
Actually, the momentum in the y direction is the momentum you want to couple with the y's to get a harmonic oscillator.

I know, but I have the solution to this one problem where they then go on to define raising and lowering operators as [tex]x\pm i p_x[/tex] and the same for y, and they get the Hamiltonian to look like the product of a raising and a lowering operator plus a half, so I thought if I could make it look like that I could just use that solution, but I don't know what to do with the constant term, and the p_x term, more importantly.

Well, the constant isn't going to mess with the eigenfunctions right, you can just bring it to the other side of the eigenfunction equation.

H*psi=E*psi

So, you can just bring the constant over to the right side of the equation, and it would only adjust your eigenvalue.

The px part also stumps me...

Related to Eigenfunction of electron in E and B fields

1. What is an eigenfunction in the context of electron behavior in E and B fields?

An eigenfunction is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of an electron in the presence of electric and magnetic fields. It represents the probability amplitude of the electron's wave function and can help predict the electron's position and momentum.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields affect the eigenfunctions of electrons?

Electric and magnetic fields can alter the shape and energy levels of the eigenfunctions of electrons. The fields can cause the eigenfunctions to shift and distort, resulting in changes to the electron's behavior and properties.

3. Are there different types of eigenfunctions for electrons in E and B fields?

Yes, there are different types of eigenfunctions for electrons in E and B fields. These include standing wave eigenfunctions, which are stationary and do not change over time, and traveling wave eigenfunctions, which move through space and time.

4. How are eigenfunctions used to study electron behavior in E and B fields?

Eigenfunctions are used in quantum mechanics to solve the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in E and B fields. By solving this equation, scientists can understand and predict the behavior of electrons in a given field.

5. Can eigenfunctions be applied to other particles besides electrons?

Yes, eigenfunctions can be applied to other particles besides electrons. They are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles such as protons, neutrons, and photons in various fields.