Eigenfunction of Angular Momentum Squared Operator

In summary, the student is struggling to solve an equation for angular momentum, but makes an elementary mistake each time.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

The square of the angular momentum operator is (in SPC);

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/67/54712598.png

Show that Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) = C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Is an eigenfunction. C is a constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not able to get it in the form of (A number) times Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) = C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]. No matter what, I always end up with;

-2C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex] - 4C[itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex] - and I don't know what to do with that.

This is clearly not what I want, there is an extra term that I just can't seem to eradicate. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to show some of the earlier steps. You've made a mistake combining the first 2 terms.

fzero said:
You might want to show some of the earlier steps. You've made a mistake combining the first 2 terms.

Hmm, well with

[itex]\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta\theta^{2}}[/itex] of Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) I get

(having taken the constant C out)

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex]([itex]sin^{2} - cos^{2}[/itex])With [itex]cot\theta \frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex]

I get

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] = [itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]cos^{2}\theta[/itex]

and lastly with

[itex]\frac{1}{sin^{2}\theta}\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta {\phi}^{2}}[/itex]

I get [itex]-4e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Adding all the terms gives me;

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]sin^{2} \theta[/itex] [itex]-4e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Have I done something wrong?

Silversonic said:
With [itex]cot\theta \frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex]

I get

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] = [itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]cos^{2}\theta[/itex]

You've factored out the [itex]-\hbar^2[/itex] so there's no minus sign in front of this term.

fzero said:
You've factored out the [itex]-\hbar^2[/itex] so there's no minus sign in front of this term.

[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex] of

[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

is

[itex]2sin\theta(-cos\theta)e^{2i\phi}[/itex] = [itex]-2sin\theta cos\theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

surely?

So times by [itex] cot\theta [/itex]

is

[itex]-2 cos^{2} \theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

?

Silversonic said:
[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex] of

[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

is

[itex]2sin\theta(-cos\theta)e^{2i\phi}[/itex] = [itex]-2sin\theta cos\theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

surely?

No,

[itex] \frac{d}{d\theta}\sin\theta = \cos\theta,~~~\frac{d}{d\theta}\cos\theta = -\sin\theta.[/itex]

You'll want to doublecheck the first term as well then, but you had the overall sign correct there.

fzero said:
No,

[itex] \frac{d}{d\theta}\sin\theta = \cos\theta,~~~\frac{d}{d\theta}\cos\theta = -\sin\theta.[/itex]

You'll want to doublecheck the first term as well then, but you had the overall sign correct there.

Oh my good lord.

This is just embarrassing. It's not like I'm even tired or anything, I just continuously made an elementary mistake.

Thanks. I'll be handing in my University resignation form tomorrow ._.

Related to Eigenfunction of Angular Momentum Squared Operator

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a special type of function that, when operated on by a mathematical operator, returns itself multiplied by a constant value. In other words, the function is only changed by a scalar factor, and remains unchanged in its overall shape and form.

2. What is the angular momentum squared operator?

The angular momentum squared operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol L^2 and is defined as the sum of the squares of the three components of angular momentum (Lx, Ly, Lz).

3. How is the eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator is used to determine the allowed energy states of a particle with a given angular momentum. The eigenfunctions represent the wavefunctions of the particle, and the corresponding eigenvalues represent the allowed energies.

4. What is the significance of the eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator?

The eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator is significant because it allows us to describe the angular momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. It also allows us to determine the allowed energy states of a particle, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

5. How is the eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator related to the uncertainty principle?

The eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator is related to the uncertainty principle in that it is used to determine the allowed energy states of a particle. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less we know about its position, and vice versa. The eigenfunction of angular momentum squared operator helps us to understand and calculate this uncertainty in energy states.