Eigenenergies of finite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an analytic form of the eigenenergy of a 1-D finite square well potential and the potential challenges in finding one. The use of a variational method to prove the existence of a bound state in the square well potential is also mentioned.
secret2
Is there any website where I can find the analytic form of the eigenenergy of a 1-D finite square well potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure there is,but don't u have a textbook...?IIRC,there's a nice presentation of this problem in Davydov.

Any QM textbook ought to have finite square well...

Daniel.

secret2 said:
Is there any website where I can find the analytic form of the eigenenergy of a 1-D finite square well potential?

There's no explicit analytic expression for the energy eigenvalues of a finite square well. To get them, you have to solve a transcendental equation (two of them actually, one for odd-parity eigenfunctions, one for even-parity). This gives you numeric solutions to whatever precision you need.

Unless of course someone has defined some kind of special function to fill the fill, but I've never heard of any such thing.

Do a Google search for "finite square well" (with the quote marks) and you'll find plenty of Web sites. Some of them probably include the transcendental equations in question.

In fact, I am working on a variational method problem. I am asked to prove that any finite square should have at least one bound state. So I plug in a Gaussian trial function to the square well potential. The variational method give neatly V (which is the "depth" of the well). Just want to check if this makes sense.

Related to Eigenenergies of finite square well

1. What is a finite square well?

A finite square well is a potential energy function that is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of a particle confined within a finite region. It is characterized by a potential energy that is constant within the well and infinite outside of the well.

2. What are eigenenergies?

Eigenenergies are the allowed energy levels of a quantum system. In the case of a finite square well, they refer to the discrete energy values that a particle can have when confined within the well.

3. How are eigenenergies calculated for a finite square well?

The eigenenergies of a finite square well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. The solutions to the Schrödinger equation for a finite square well give the allowed energy levels of the system.

4. What is the significance of eigenenergies in a finite square well?

The eigenenergies of a finite square well determine the possible energy states that a particle can occupy when trapped within the well. These energy levels play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems and are essential in many applications of quantum mechanics.

5. How do the eigenenergies change with the depth of the finite square well?

The eigenenergies of a finite square well are directly proportional to the depth of the well. As the well becomes deeper, the eigenenergies increase and the energy levels become more closely spaced. This relationship between the depth and eigenenergies is an important factor in determining the behavior of particles in confined systems.