Ehrenfest paradox debate, how does a pinning disk look like?

In summary, the Ehrenfest paradox is a paradox concerning the length contraction of a rotating disc. The circumference of the disc shrinks, but the radius has to be kept the same.
Trojan666ru
I was in a debate with a guy about "how does a spinning disk may look like in relativity."

His point was that the disk will be flat as always. But the radius will be curved, i couldn't actually imagine it.
He gave me a picture too

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/cartbig_gif.html

So i come up with a model, but he rejects it saying the disk will be always flat
This is my explanation with picture
It's my drawing and you can see that when the disk spinns at relativistic velocity, the circumference shrinks but the radius has to be kept same
In this way the radius of the sphere can be kept same and
the circumference will be length contacted, thus the disk
becomes a hollow sphere

Attachments

• IMG_20131123_170538.jpg
    IMG_20131123_170538.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_20131123_171026.jpg
    IMG_20131123_171026.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Trojan666ru said:
I was in a debate with a guy about "how does a spinning disk may look like in relativity."

His point was that the disk will be flat as always. But the radius will be curved, i couldn't actually imagine it.
He gave me a picture too
The picture your friend gave you is for a rolling disc that has linear motion relative to the observer on top of the rotation. That is why his disc is taller than it is wide.

Trojan666ru said:
So i come up with a model, but he rejects it saying the disk will be always flat
This is my explanation with picture
It's my drawing and you can see that when the disk spinns at relativistic velocity, the circumference shrinks but the radius has to be kept same
In this way the radius of the sphere can be kept same and
the circumference will be length contacted, thus the disk
becomes a hollow sphere
The Ehrenfest paradox usually concerns a disc that is not allowed to curve out of the plane as suggested by your sketch. If the disc bent as much as your image suggests, the edge of the disc would be going slower than the mid parts of the spokes and so it would not length contract as much.

For a disc that remains flat, the circumference is 2*pi*r according to the external non spinning observer at rest with respect to the centre of the disc, but gamma*(2*pi*r) according to an observer attached to the perimeter of the spinning disc.

Length contraction means the proper length is greater than the coordinate length. For an unstressed straight rod, the proper length remains constant and the coordinate length appears to contract with increasing relative motion. In the case of the disc perimeter, the coordinate length is forced to remain constant, so the proper length of the perimeter increases with increasing rotation (and constant radius), but in this case there definitely will be stresses involved, as the perimeter is being stretched in its (non inertial) rest frame.

Last edited:

Related to Ehrenfest paradox debate, how does a pinning disk look like?

1. What is the Ehrenfest paradox?

The Ehrenfest paradox is a thought experiment in physics that explores the implications of special relativity on rotating reference frames. It raises questions about the nature of space and time, and challenges our understanding of the relationship between inertia and rotation.

2. What is the debate surrounding the Ehrenfest paradox?

The debate around the Ehrenfest paradox centers on the question of whether or not a rigid body can rotate without experiencing deformation. This debate has been ongoing since the paradox was first proposed by Dutch physicist Paul Ehrenfest in 1909.

3. How does the pinning disk in the Ehrenfest paradox look like?

The pinning disk in the Ehrenfest paradox is a theoretical device that is used to illustrate the paradox. It is a disk with a radius and a fixed axis of rotation, and is composed of a large number of small particles connected by pins.

4. What is the significance of the pinning disk in the Ehrenfest paradox?

The pinning disk is used in the Ehrenfest paradox to demonstrate how a rotating reference frame can lead to different interpretations of the same physical phenomenon. It highlights the differences between an observer in a non-rotating frame and an observer in a rotating frame, and how these differences can affect our understanding of the world.

5. How does the Ehrenfest paradox challenge our understanding of physics?

The Ehrenfest paradox challenges our understanding of physics by questioning the principles of special relativity and the concept of a rigid body. It also raises questions about the true nature of space and time, and how they are affected by rotational motion. The ongoing debate surrounding the paradox continues to push the boundaries of our understanding of the physical world.