Egg Launch: Solving a Physics Problem

In summary, an egg is thrown upward from a building and falls 50 meters down after 6 seconds. The initial speed of the egg was determined to be 80.57 meters/second using a system of equations. The maximum height of the egg was calculated to be 331 meters using the Big five equation. However, the accuracy of these calculations is uncertain as they were done in a shorter amount of time than allotted on a physics test.
OVB
This is a one dimensional problem just in case anyone needlessly accounts for horizontal velocity.

An egg is thrown upward from the edge of a building. The egg falls next to the edge (i.e., without hitting it) and after traveling down 50 more meters more, it has been 6 seconds since the egg was released.

a) what is the initial speed of the egg thrown?

I had to break it up into 2 parts ( path before max altitude, and path after). I had a system of equations basically with a time1 and time2 (corresponding to the two different paths) and a net big five equation which had the displacement (-50) as the difference between the displacements of the two paths. This gave me a time (after the egg returned past the edge) of 3.19 seconds, and this led to an initial speed of 80.57 meters/second.

b) What is the maximum height of the egg relative to its start?
This time, using Big five number 5, I got 331 m

I think these are very wrong and they were on my physics test today, which my physics teacher gave me half as much time as everyone else for.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was another part to this problem, but I forgot the exact wording so I'll leave it out.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. It is also important to understand the concepts behind the equations you are using, rather than simply plugging in numbers. Additionally, it is important to carefully read the problem and make sure you are using the correct units. In this case, it seems like you may have mixed up the units for time, as 3.19 seconds is not a realistic time for an egg to fall 50 meters. I would also recommend practicing more problems and seeking help from your teacher if needed. Mistakes happen, but it is important to learn from them and improve for future tests.

Related to Egg Launch: Solving a Physics Problem

1. What is the purpose of "Egg Launch: Solving a Physics Problem"?

The purpose of "Egg Launch: Solving a Physics Problem" is to demonstrate the principles of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion, through the use of a hands-on experiment involving launching an egg using various materials and techniques.

2. What materials are needed for the "Egg Launch" experiment?

The materials needed for the "Egg Launch" experiment include an egg, a foam cup, rubber bands, a ruler, paper towels, a pencil, and a variety of launching devices such as a catapult, slingshot, or rubber band launcher.

3. How does the "Egg Launch" experiment relate to real-world applications?

The "Egg Launch" experiment relates to real-world applications by demonstrating the concepts of force, motion, and energy transfer, which are fundamental principles in physics and are applicable in many fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation.

4. What are some key physics concepts that can be observed and measured during the "Egg Launch" experiment?

Some key physics concepts that can be observed and measured during the "Egg Launch" experiment include velocity, acceleration, momentum, potential and kinetic energy, and the effects of air resistance and gravity on the motion of the egg.

5. How can the "Egg Launch" experiment be modified for different levels of difficulty?

The "Egg Launch" experiment can be modified for different levels of difficulty by changing the launching device, varying the distance or angle of the launch, or adding obstacles to the egg's flight path. Additionally, the experiment can be made more complex by incorporating data analysis and calculations to determine the egg's speed, trajectory, and energy transfer.