Egg drop using helium balloons

In summary, the egg dropped project again proved to be difficult. Only two balloons fit in a grocery bag, and the egg rolled out of the balloon and cracked when dropped from over 50 feet. The student remembered making something to protect an egg for a class, but the idea did not work. They tried using a cordboard box with plastic inside and water, but the egg survived. They also tried using a can cooler with a plastic bag, but the egg survived with a needle and string.
swimmingfreak
yes this is an egg drop project once again, i had the idea to use helium balloons, but the problem is that the whole thing must fit in a grocery bag. only two balloons fit in a grocery bag! that can't carry very much! we can't use paracutes, otherwise we can do anything. i tried just now to cut a square piece of styrofoam and put the egg insided a hole i made in it. a tied the two balloons to the square and dropped it. the egg rolled out of it and cracked, and that was from a hieght to about 7-8 feet! we are dropping them from I'm guessing over 50-60 feet! please help my idea work or help me to think of a new one! the project is due tomorrow! I am usually very good at science, but I am stuck! please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
i remember making somehting to protect an egg for some class, i used a styrofoam from a box which came with my laptop, the foam was very good quality, and i did the whole cude thing, cut the cube in half, amde a place for the egg. and taped it up

to my surprise there was no way for me to hurt the egg, i played a little football with it, if you don't have that kind of foam then, here's what i thought of: take a cordboard box, 5inches cube, (5 x 5 x 5) and layer it with plastic inside, and fill it with water, toss the egg in and tape a plastic bag over it, if it's well made, the box won't leak, and the box will likley explode when it hits the groud, but i think the egg may very well survive. that's just what i thought of...

well here is what i did, if anyone wants to know...i took a can cooler and put a plastic bag on the bottom, then i put the egg in a plastic bag and put it in the middle, and on the top i put in, guess what, another plastic bag. i used a needle to pull the thread through three sides of the can cooler, i then tied the strings of the balloons to the thread. we did the egg drop today and my egg survived with no cracks, much to everyones suprise. they all thought it was too small, but the balloons made it go a lot slower than everyone elses! (it didnt float down though) so i did it all by myself because no one decided to reply until it was too late, but that's ok because what i did worked and I'm very proud of myself!

Related to Egg drop using helium balloons

1. How does using helium balloons affect the egg drop experiment?

Using helium balloons in an egg drop experiment helps to reduce the impact of the fall by slowing down the rate of descent. The balloons create an air resistance force that counteracts the force of gravity, resulting in a slower fall and less impact on the egg.

2. Can any type of helium balloon be used for the egg drop experiment?

No, not all types of helium balloons are suitable for this experiment. It is important to use high-quality latex or mylar balloons that are properly inflated to ensure enough lift and air resistance for a successful egg drop.

3. How many helium balloons should be used for the experiment?

The number of helium balloons needed for the egg drop experiment will depend on the size and weight of the egg, as well as the desired rate of descent. Generally, 2-4 balloons are recommended for a small to medium-sized egg.

4. Can other gases be used instead of helium?

Yes, other gases such as hydrogen or hot air can also be used for the egg drop experiment. However, these gases may be more difficult to obtain and handle, and may require additional safety precautions.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using helium balloons for the egg drop?

Yes, it is important to handle helium balloons with care and always supervise children during the experiment. Make sure the balloons are properly secured and avoid releasing them near power lines or other hazards. It is also recommended to wear safety goggles and gloves when handling the balloons.