Egg drop project with specific guidelines

In summary, the individual has been tasked with the egg drop project and is struggling to come up with ideas within the given restrictions. They have attempted using straws but it was too big and not easily accessible. A possible solution is to use a combination of cardboard and bubble wrap, cutting them into a box shape and lining it with bubble wrap to protect the egg from the fall. Additionally, tying string or ribbon around the box can allow for easy access to the egg.
dancingfish
I've been assigned the infamous egg drop project, and have been brainstorming as many ideas as possible. However, I have many restrictions, and the one I am having the most trouble with is size. My container cannot be any larger than 4"x4"x6", though it must protect the egg from a fall of approx. 10 m, or off the backside of the bleachers. I am not allowed to use common packing materials including styrofoam, padding, or any thick liquids or jellies. :rolleyes: I have read some other posts on this forum, and attempted making a container out of straws. Unfortunately, I also have to be able to put the egg in the project the day it is due in class, so there needs to be easy accessibility. The straw container also ended up way too big, and was a wash. If anyone has any creative ideas I would be most thankful for your suggestions! :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
One possible solution is to use a combination of materials, such as cardboard and bubble wrap. Cut the cardboard into a box shape, with smaller pieces for the lid and bottom. Then, line the inside of the box with bubble wrap and place the egg in the center. This should provide adequate protection from the fall, while still staying within the size requirements. You could also tie some string or ribbon around the box in order to open it easily when you need to remove the egg. Good luck!

I understand the challenge that you are facing with the egg drop project. It is important to follow the specific guidelines given to you, as it will test your problem-solving skills and creativity. I would suggest thinking outside the box and considering unconventional materials that can provide cushioning and protection for the egg.

Some potential ideas could include using a combination of balloons and rubber bands to create a cushioning system, or using a small parachute attached to the container to slow down the fall of the egg. Another option could be to use a small cardboard box filled with cotton balls or tissue paper, which can easily be accessed and replaced on the day of the presentation.

Additionally, you could try using materials such as bubble wrap or crumpled paper to create a shock-absorbing layer around the egg. These materials may not be considered "common packing materials," but they can still provide effective cushioning for the egg.

Overall, it will be important to experiment and test different designs to see what works best for your specific guidelines. Remember to think creatively and consider all materials and possibilities before making a final decision. Good luck with your project!

Related to Egg drop project with specific guidelines

What is an egg drop project with specific guidelines?

An egg drop project with specific guidelines is a scientific experiment where participants are given specific rules and constraints to design and build a contraption that can protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

What are the most common guidelines for an egg drop project?

The specific guidelines for an egg drop project may vary, but some common ones include using only certain materials (such as straws, popsicle sticks, and tape), a maximum height for the drop, and a minimum weight for the contraption.

What is the purpose of an egg drop project?

The purpose of an egg drop project is to apply principles of physics and engineering to design a contraption that can protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a height. It also encourages critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity.

What are some tips for a successful egg drop project?

Some tips for a successful egg drop project include carefully reading and following the guidelines, conducting research on different designs and materials, testing and making adjustments to the contraption before the final drop, and being creative with the design.

What are some common materials used for an egg drop project?

Some common materials used for an egg drop project include straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, cotton balls, bubble wrap, and tissue paper. Participants can also use other materials as long as they comply with the specific guidelines given.