People who take on big problems

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for mathematicians who are working to solve the big problems of mathematics, such as the Claymath's million dollar problems. The person asking the question is curious about the motivation for solving these problems and mentions the case of Perelmen, who allegedly solved the Geometrization conjecture but did not publish it. They also ask about mathematicians working on the proof of the infinity of coprime numbers, also known as twin primes. The conversation mentions that there are no known mathematicians working directly on this problem, but some are exploring indirect approaches such as studying the Riemann Zeta-Function. The names mentioned in the conversation include Perelmen, Conrey, Goldston, and
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
my question is:
do you have names of people (not crancks, genuine people) who try to solve the big problems of mathematics such as claymath's million dollars problems?
if you do, can you post their names?

btw, i am aware that the serious folks don't speak about their methods until they are sure about them and even then they publish them in monthly issue of some magazine (which isn't free).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's your motivation for doing this? Most, if not all, researchers are very open and collaborative and their websites will have papers or preprints on them. Perelmen's alleged proof of the Geometrization conjecture is freely available on the net.

matt grime said:
What's your motivation for doing this? Most, if not all, researchers are very open and collaborative and their websites will have papers or preprints on them. Perelmen's alleged proof of the Geometrization conjecture is freely available on the net.
does someone needs motivation to expand his knowledge?

anyway thanks for the name you have i will check it.

edit:
after checking it in google i found that this name is familiar to me, this is the man that the media say has solved poincare conjecture.

Last edited:
No motivation needed, just curious.

But being sent unsolicited manuscripts is an affliction the big boys suffer from that I wouldn't wish to condone by putting their names out there with a large target for the crackpots round here. Seeing as it's all widely known (or at least in the open) anyway I think I'm going too far.

Perelmen is a practical recluse living in the Ukraine. His papers are proving difficult to assess as he uses odd notation and some of his ideas seem dubious (but they'd have to in order to solve a problem like this). Noticably he's not even interested in publishing it, and the million dollars (geometrization implies poincare) doesn't seem to in danger at the moment because of that fact.

matt grime said:
No motivation needed, just curious.

But being sent unsolicited manuscripts is an affliction the big boys suffer from that I wouldn't wish to condone by putting their names out there with a large target for the crackpots round here. Seeing as it's all widely known (or at least in the open) anyway I think I'm going too far.

Perelmen is a practical recluse living in the Ukraine. His papers are proving difficult to assess as he uses odd notation and some of his ideas seem dubious (but they'd have to in order to solve a problem like this). Noticably he's not even interested in publishing it, and the million dollars (geometrization implies poincare) doesn't seem to in danger at the moment because of that fact.
if you want you can pm me their names.
i promise not to send them emails to erratate them :smile:

here's another question which the study about them is interesting.
a proof to the infinity of coprime numbers, who has published work about this problem?

is coprime what you mean? as every two prime numbers are coprime and there are an infinite number of prime numbers, and this idea is 2000 years old then something must be wrong

matt grime said:
is coprime what you mean? as every two prime numbers are coprime and there are an infinite number of prime numbers, and this idea is 2000 years old then something must be wrong
coprimes are: primes which are close to each other by 2.
for example: 5 and 7, 11 and 13.
does it go on forever or it has an end to it?

they are called twin primes, coprime has another meaning

matt grime said:
they are called twin primes, coprime has another meaning
oh, sorry.
anyway do you know any mathematicians who try to work out a proof?

none that don't count as cranks. it isn't really a problem that you work on directly - there is no real direct approach, such is the difficulty of the question. I wouldn't even know where to start to learn about subjects that are of use in approaching the question from the side.

a quick google and sorting out those that are obviously stupid reveals that Conrey (well respected) thinks that some work of Goldston and Yildrim may hold a new technique that may cast *some* light on the issue. If you google for those keywords (twin prime goldston etc) you might find something.

matt grime said:
a quick google and sorting out those that are obviously stupid reveals that Conrey (well respected) thinks that some work of Goldston and Yildrim may hold a new technique that may cast *some* light on the issue. If you google for those keywords (twin prime goldston etc) you might find something.
i searched and found that in their method was found an error.
btw i found goldson is also working on the Riemann Zeta-Function as you said perhaps indirect approach will be profitable (if it worked for wiles maybe it would work for others).

1. What is the definition of "people who take on big problems"?

People who take on big problems are individuals who actively seek out and tackle complex or challenging issues that impact a large number of people or have significant consequences.

2. What are some examples of big problems that people might take on?

Some examples of big problems that people might take on include climate change, poverty, access to education and healthcare, political corruption, and social injustice.

3. What qualities do people who take on big problems possess?

People who take on big problems often possess qualities such as determination, resilience, creativity, critical thinking skills, and a strong sense of empathy and compassion for others.

4. What motivates people to take on big problems?

People are often motivated to take on big problems because they have a strong desire to make a positive impact and create meaningful change in the world. They may also feel a personal connection to the issue or have a strong sense of responsibility to use their skills and resources to help others.

5. How can individuals support and encourage those who take on big problems?

There are several ways to support and encourage those who take on big problems. These include offering words of encouragement, providing financial or logistical support, volunteering time and resources, and spreading awareness about the issue. It is also important to listen to and learn from individuals who are actively working towards solving big problems, and to follow their lead in taking action and making a difference.