Efficiently Solving a Simple Pulley Question with Mass and Force Calculations

• Thread starter I_LuV_FiZiX
  • Start date
In summary, a window washer with a mass of 66.3 kg is using a bucket-pulley apparatus to pull herself upwards at constant speed. The pulley arrangement consists of two parallel strings with a pulley at the top, with the washer in the bucket attached to one of the strings and pulling downward on the other string. In order to maintain constant speed, the tension in the rope must be equal to the weight of the washer and the bucket, which is approximately 650N.
I_LuV_FiZiX

Homework Statement

A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus shown in figure below.

Homework Equations

With what force must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of person plus bucket is 66.3 kg.

The Attempt at a Solution

f=ma
f=66.3 x 9.8
f=650N
wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I_LuV_FiZiX said:

Homework Statement

A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus shown in figure below.

Homework Equations

With what force must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of person plus bucket is 66.3 kg.

The Attempt at a Solution

f=ma
f=66.3 x 9.8
f=650N
wrong?

Hi I_LuV_FiZiX! :smile:

(You haven't told us what the pulley arrangement is. :rolleyes:)

Hint: in these questions, always ask yourself what the tension in the rope is. :wink:

the pulley arrangement is two strings parallel to each other with a pulley at the top, she is in the bucket attached to the string on the left, and she is pulling down on the pulley on the right in order to bring her and the bucket up...thanks for considering my question :smile:

I_LuV_FiZiX said:
the pulley arrangement is two strings parallel to each other with a pulley at the top, she is in the bucket attached to the string on the left, and she is pulling down on the pulley on the right in order to bring her and the bucket up

ok … then consider the forces on the bucket … what is the tension in the rope if there is no acceleration? :smile:

Related to Efficiently Solving a Simple Pulley Question with Mass and Force Calculations

1. What is a simple pulley?

A simple pulley is a type of machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a simple pulley work?

A simple pulley works by distributing the weight of an object evenly between the pulley and the rope. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to move.

3. What are the different types of simple pulleys?

There are two types of simple pulleys: fixed and movable. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. A combination of fixed and movable pulleys can create a compound pulley system.

4. What are some examples of simple pulleys?

Simple pulleys can be found in many everyday objects, such as flagpoles, window blinds, and exercise machines. They are also commonly used in construction, transportation, and manufacturing industries.

5. What are the advantages of using a simple pulley?

The main advantage of using a simple pulley is that it reduces the amount of force required to lift or move heavy objects. This can make tasks easier and more efficient, especially for individuals with limited strength or mobility.