Efficiently Mastering Calculus: Advice and Tips from a Student

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of wanting to complete every single problem in Richard Courant's Calculus, but realizing that it may not be necessary or beneficial in mastering the subject. The speaker suggests following the book linearly and seeking help when stuck on a problem, rather than spending excessive time on it. They also mention the helpfulness of discussing problems with others.
courtrigrad
Hello all:

I am currently working through Richard Courant's Calculus. There are some problems which I just cannot do, either because it is extremely difficult or very time consuming. However, I have this obsession in wanting to do every single problem. Would it make more sense to move on to more important topics, read every chapter, and then do problems of your own liking? Do I have to do everything linearly? Is this a good way to study and master calculus?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't consider it necessary to do every problem. Courant, in particular, is a very deep text. It's much closer to "analysis" than calculus. The preface to the book, if I remember correctly, indicates which sections are necessary for sections later in the book. Failing that, remember that mathematics does depend upon what went before so, yes, you are better off doing "everything linearly".

I used to do the same thing, obsess over not being able to do every problem.

While taking calc I and engineering physics I, I would get stuck on a problem. Sometimes, before I knew it, I would spend 3+ hours on the thing. I never really considered it a loss as I usually gained a deeper understanding of the material while working on it, but I know it cost me some points on tests because I wasn't as prepared for the whole chapter as I well as I should have been.

If you get stuck on one question, ask yourself this "have I been able to correctly solve similar problems?" "do I understand the nature of the problem and the concepts needed to solve it?" If the answers are yes, the thing that is probably giving you trouble is some simple algebra trick that you have forgotten or are just not seeing or maybe your setting it up wrong. If that's that case, do like I do, post the problem and your work to this forum and move on while waiting for an answer. Half the time I figure out what I'm doing wrong before I even post the problem. Just trying to explain something to someone else can really help jog your creativity and problem solving skills. But if all else fails, the people on this site know their stuff and are willing to help.

Related to Efficiently Mastering Calculus: Advice and Tips from a Student

What is the best way to study for calculus?

The best way to study for calculus is to consistently practice solving problems and reviewing concepts. It is also helpful to attend class and take thorough notes, as well as seeking help from a tutor or professor when needed.

How can I improve my understanding of difficult calculus topics?

One way to improve understanding of difficult calculus topics is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try explaining the concept to someone else or creating visual aids such as diagrams or graphs to help with understanding.

Is it important to memorize formulas in calculus?

While it is important to understand and be able to apply formulas in calculus, it is not necessary to memorize them all. It is more important to understand the underlying concepts and how to manipulate equations to solve problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in calculus?

Common mistakes to avoid in calculus include not fully understanding the problem before attempting to solve it, using incorrect formulas or methods, and not checking your work for errors. It is also important to avoid rushing through problems and not showing all of your work.

How can I prepare for exams in calculus?

To prepare for exams in calculus, it is important to start studying early and consistently review material throughout the semester. Practice solving problems from previous assignments and exams, and make sure to understand any mistakes you make. It can also be helpful to form a study group or attend review sessions with a tutor or professor.