Efficient Family Bridge Crossing Strategy

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmaniac1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
So I'll try to work with what I have...In summary, 5 members of a family with a lamp are trying to cross a bridge that can only hold 2 people at a time. They have to cross in less than 30 seconds. The boy takes 1 second, the fatty brother takes 3 seconds, the father takes 6 seconds, the mother takes 8 seconds, and the grandpa takes 12 seconds. When two people are crossing together, it takes the time of the slowest person. The question is, how can they get everyone across the bridge? Unfortunately, it seems like no one has a solution.
mathmaniac1
5 members of a family are to cross the bridge and the bridge can hold only 2 at a time.Its also dark so they have a lamp...They have to do the crossing in less than 30 seconds...
It takes 1 second for the boy to cross the bridge,3 seconds for his fatty brother,6 seconds for their father,8 seconds for the boys' mother and 12 seconds for their grandpa...
When two of the family are crossing together it takes the time of the slowest person to cross the bridge...(Thats obvious)
How will you get all them across?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks like nobody wants it.Ok,here is the answer

Denis said:
http://www.mymathforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39218#p160599

a:1, b:3, c:6, d:8, e:12[

return trip #1: a+b, a returns : time = 4
return trip #2: d+e, b returns : time = 15
return trip #3: a+c, a returns : time = 7
final 1 way trip: a+b : time = 3

Total time = 4+15+7+3 = 29

Edit:No matter what I do I can't edit this my way...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Efficient Family Bridge Crossing Strategy

1. What does "Get them across the bridge" mean?

"Get them across the bridge" is a phrase often used in problem-solving scenarios, where the goal is to transport objects or individuals from one side of a bridge to the other. This can be a physical bridge or a symbolic one, representing a barrier or obstacle that needs to be overcome.

2. How do I get them across the bridge?

The specific method for getting objects or individuals across a bridge will depend on the situation and resources available. It could involve physically carrying or transporting them, building a bridge, using tools or technology, or other creative solutions.

3. Why is it important to "get them across the bridge"?

The phrase often implies that there is a pressing need or urgency to move objects or individuals across the bridge. This could be due to safety concerns, time constraints, or the need to reach a specific destination or goal on the other side.

4. What are some common challenges in "getting them across the bridge"?

Some common challenges in this type of scenario could include physical obstacles such as a broken bridge or rough terrain, communication or coordination issues, limited resources or time, and potential risks or dangers involved in the transportation process.

5. Can you provide an example of "getting them across the bridge" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, "getting them across the bridge" could refer to moving laboratory equipment or samples across a bridge to conduct experiments in a different location. It could also represent a metaphor for overcoming scientific challenges and reaching new discoveries or breakthroughs.