Efficient Conversion of 1 V peak AC to DC

In summary, this person wants to convert their AC into DC to power a small battery-powered sensor. There are a number of possible solutions, but the most efficient one might be to use a transformer and a rectifier.
favrefan87
Hey guys,

I am new here and had a question. I currently have a 1 V peak (2 Vpp) AC wave coming into my system and I want to find the most efficient way to convert it into DC. A simple bridge wouldn't work for me because too much of the voltage would be dropped across the diodes. The system is a small battery powered sensor and I am trying to use this 1 V input wave as a trickle charger. Any guidance or ideas?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you connect it to the primary of a step up transformer and use a full wave rectifier on the secondary?

I haven't thought about that, but as I said the system is a small battery powered one and I am trying to find some way of doing this in a small physical manner.

You haven't mentioned what frequency your AC is and if you don't need isolation between the primary and secondary, it may be possible to make a small auto-transformer by winding turns on a suitable core.

Sorry about that, the frequency is around 75 Hz and no I don't need any isolation between primary and secondary.

You may be able to wrap a substantial number of turns of enameled wire around a nail with a tap for the primary.

If you want this thing to be super tiny and cheap then you could use Schottky diodes for a bridge rectifier (forward voltage ~ 0.3) and then step up the DC voltage with a Buck booster to whatever level you need. One caveat, you said it was an instrument so, depending on how sensitive the instrument is, you may need to worry about the high frequency noise coming from the Buck booster . The efficiency wouldn't be too bad but certainly wouldn't be as good as the transformer set-up.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2556570&k=DC%20-%20DC"

Don't worry, you can filter the results. Pro-tip: hold down the "Ctrl" button to select more than one specification in the filter list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another possibility but much more difficult would be to sense the polarity of the AC and open and close analog switches in an arrangement like that of a full wave rectifier to achieve rectification. By using mosfets, a lower voltage drop could be achieved than by diodes. This approach might make sense if you are already using a microcontroller or even a comparator.

Related to Efficient Conversion of 1 V peak AC to DC

1. How does AC to DC conversion work?

AC to DC conversion involves using a rectifier, which is an electrical component that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). This is achieved by using diodes that allow current to flow in only one direction, creating a pulsating DC output from the AC input.

2. What are the advantages of converting AC to DC?

Converting AC to DC is necessary for many electronic devices to function properly. This is because most electronic components and circuits require a steady DC power supply. Additionally, DC power is more efficient and stable compared to AC power, making it the preferred choice for many applications.

3. How can I efficiently convert 1 V peak AC to DC?

To efficiently convert 1 V peak AC to DC, you can use a voltage multiplier circuit. This circuit uses multiple diodes and capacitors to increase the voltage and smooth out the output, resulting in a more stable DC voltage. Alternatively, you can also use a buck converter, which is a type of switching power supply that can efficiently step down the voltage from 1 V peak AC to a lower DC voltage.

4. What are the challenges in converting AC to DC?

The main challenge in converting AC to DC is the presence of ripple or fluctuations in the output voltage. This can be caused by factors such as the quality of the input AC signal, the efficiency of the rectifier circuit, and the load on the circuit. To achieve efficient conversion, it is important to minimize ripple through proper circuit design and component selection.

5. Is there a limit to how much AC voltage can be converted to DC?

In theory, there is no limit to how much AC voltage can be converted to DC. However, in practice, the efficiency of the conversion decreases as the input voltage increases. This is because higher input voltages require more complex circuitry and can result in greater power losses. Additionally, safety precautions must be taken when converting high AC voltages to DC to prevent electrical hazards.