Efficiency, power, irradiance and speed problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1 m2 solar collector with an efficiency of 30%, and how much power it produces with 1000 W/m2 of irradiance. The individual also asks for help relating this power to the speed of a car and how to calculate the exact answer. Possible equations to use include W=Fd and P=F*v, assuming F does not change significantly.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I've attached the question

Homework Equations

The problem is I don't know what equation(s) I have to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question my part of my thermofluid dynamics course but I cannot find a formula in my textbook that uses an irradiance (1000W/m^2) term.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
    14 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this problem. You have a 1 m2 solar collector. It is 30% efficient. If 1000 W/m2 is falling on a 1 m2 that is 30% efficient how much power is the solar panel producing(in KW)? Compare with the power of the car.

so that means 300W or 0.3kW of power is being produced.
0.3/200=0.0015
how do i relate this to speed

If it takes 200,000W to go at speed X how much faster is it likely to go if the power available is increased to 200,300W ? Hint: it's a multiple choice question and its not going to go >50% faster :-).

yes its fair enough that it won't go 50% faster or 10% or even 4%, but how would I go about getting an exact answer?

How about W=Fd, P = F*v, assume F doesn't change (much)

Last edited:

Related to Efficiency, power, irradiance and speed problem

1. What is efficiency and why is it important?

Efficiency is the ratio of output power to input power, expressed as a percentage. In scientific terms, it measures the ability of a system to convert energy into useful work. In real-world applications, efficiency is important because it indicates how well a system is performing and how much energy is being wasted.

2. What is power and how is it related to efficiency?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In other words, it is the amount of work done per unit of time. Efficiency and power are closely related, as an efficient system will have a higher power output for the same input compared to an inefficient system.

3. What is irradiance and how does it affect efficiency?

Irradiance is the amount of radiant flux (or energy) received per unit area. In relation to efficiency, irradiance is important because it determines how much energy is available for a system to convert into useful work. The higher the irradiance, the more energy a system can potentially convert.

4. How does speed impact the efficiency of a system?

Speed refers to the rate at which a system operates. In general, a higher speed means a higher rate of energy conversion, which can lead to a higher efficiency. However, there may be limitations to how fast a system can operate, so finding the optimal speed for a particular system is crucial for maximizing efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the efficiency, power, irradiance, and speed of a system?

There are many factors that can affect these parameters, including the design and materials used in the system, external environmental conditions (such as temperature and humidity), and the type of energy being converted. Other factors may include the maintenance and upkeep of the system, as well as any external forces or constraints.