Efficiency of a Solar Powered Car

In summary, the author is thinking of investigating the efficiency of solar powered cars. They would like to measure the difference in speed, longevity, etc.
Paulene Gueco
As I am currently residing in Doha, Qatar, I've decided to base my mini-thesis on Solar energy. And although I haven't got it finalized yet, I'm thinking of investigating the efficiency of solar powered cars.

I could build a toy car and input solar-powered batteries as opposed to another toy car with regular batteries. I would then measure the difference in speed, longevity, etc.

I'd appreciate it if you could drop by some suggestions. Thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantify the performance of a hypothetical 100% efficient solar powered car.

Hi! I was also thinking, maybe measuring the effectiveness of Solar Energy as the primary power source of a city?

Remember that the Solar Constant is about 1350 Watt/meter^2 and that less than continuously depending on latitude and cloud cover.

"Efficiency" and "effectivenes" are tough words to use on their own in this context, because the energy is free, so why would we care much about the efficiency?

Ie, if a gas turbine power plant is 40% efficient and a solar farm is 20% efficient, which should you use to power your city? The more efficient one? No: the cheaper one. The only thing efficiency matters for in this example is how it factors into the cost calculations.

You'll need to think very specifically about what you are trying to investigate and how (or if) efficiency figures in.

Likes hgducharme and mheslep
Thanks so much for the critique! I'll most likely stick to Mr. Huffman's suggestion of quantifying the performance of a hypothetical 100% efficient solar powered car as it could be supported experimentally. It's not too hard nor too simple as well.

If you've got any other suggestions or comments, please let me know. Thanks :)

All electricity is the same, once you stored it into batteries. So I don't see how you learn anything by running solar-powered batteries. Or do you mean a battery of photovoltaic cells? Usually battery refers to energy storage, not generation.

Paulene Gueco said:
Thanks so much for the critique! I'll most likely stick to Mr. Huffman's suggestion of quantifying the performance of a hypothetical 100% efficient solar powered car as it could be supported experimentally. It's not too hard nor too simple as well.

If you've got any other suggestions or comments, please let me know. Thanks :)
You're welcome...

...so do you want to continue to develop this idea here? What parameters, specifically, do you want to compare? I mean: "100% efficient" at doing what? To expand a bit on my previous post, people use the word "efficiency" to talk about car performence, but that's mainly just a loose word choice. Fuel efficiency or fuel economy are more descriptive. They let us know that unlike thermodynamic efficiency, the answer isn't expressed in %, it is typically expressed in distance per fuel energy. And even for actual %s, they are only unitless because the units cancel in the calculation: energy out per energy in. So you still have to specify what the parameters are. So that's what I mean about being very specific about what you are trying to evaluate.

For electric cars, common measures are:

-MPGe (which is the US government's attempt to make the efficiency measure compatible with gas car MPG).
-Miles per charge.
-kWh per 100 miles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles#Advanced_technology_vehicles

Perhaps have a look at the area, mass and efficiency of solar panels needed to power a car and then decide if it would be practical to put solar cells on a car.

Fuel efficiency and fuel economy... Wow. Those are really good ones. I haven't exactly thought of the parameters yet as I am still on the verge of proposing the project to my supervisor. I was initially going to propose another project before, but I stumbled upon a reading that a country such as Qatar does not adhere to Solar Energy. And I found that pretty interesting.

Also, regarding Mr. Huffman's suggestion, if it's "hypothetical", am I then also basing it on hypothetical data? Because I just realized that if no machine is 100% efficient, then what's the purpose of proceeding with the experiment? :/

See the comments by russ_watters above. You have to be careful what you mean by "efficiency" - it's not always the most important thing.

For example:

All electric room heaters are 100% efficient.
Condensing gas furnaces/boilers are perhaps 95% efficient.

So it looks like electric is better than gas. However in the UK electricity costs three times as much as gas (per kWH).

Hmmm, yes, but... It does have a lot to do with the country's fuel economy, doesn't it?
I'm slowly realizing that there may be a lot of flaws to that research question.

I thought of another one... You know, just so I'd have a lot to propose to my supervisor.
- Determination of thermoelectric characteristics in the ambient environment of Qatar

Uhmmm... Peltier tiles, maybe?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks :)

Or if you have other research questions in mind...

Paulene Gueco said:
Uhmmm... Peltier tiles, maybe?
Which gives you the problem of finding a heat sink for the cold side.
You've got sunlight to burn, and finding a way to use it is going to take a certain amount of looking. You might look at evaporation-absorption refrigeration cycles, and solar possibilities there (might be hiding in gas company advertisements about gas fired air conditioners).

Related to Efficiency of a Solar Powered Car

1. What is the efficiency of a solar powered car?

The efficiency of a solar powered car varies depending on various factors such as the quality of the solar panels, battery capacity, and driving conditions. On average, a solar powered car can have an efficiency of around 20-30%, meaning it can convert 20-30% of the sun's energy into usable electricity to power the car.

2. How does a solar powered car work?

A solar powered car uses solar panels, usually mounted on the roof, to convert sunlight into electricity. The electricity is then stored in a battery, and the car's motor uses this stored energy to power the vehicle.

3. Can a solar powered car be used at night or on cloudy days?

Solar powered cars can only operate during the day when there is sufficient sunlight to generate electricity. However, some models may have a backup battery that can be charged at home or through a charging station, allowing the car to be driven at night or on cloudy days.

4. How does the efficiency of a solar powered car compare to a gasoline-powered car?

Solar powered cars have a lower efficiency compared to gasoline-powered cars. This is because gasoline cars convert a higher percentage of their fuel into usable energy than solar powered cars do with sunlight. However, solar powered cars do not emit any pollutants, making them more environmentally friendly.

5. Can a solar powered car be used for long distances?

Currently, most solar powered cars have a limited range and are not suitable for long distances. However, with advancements in technology, there are ongoing efforts to increase the range of solar powered cars. Some models can travel up to 300 miles on a single charge, but this may vary depending on driving conditions and the size of the car's battery.