Efficiency of a hydroelectric power station

In summary: JIn summary, the conversation revolves around finding the energy produced by a volume of water in a dam, with an efficiency of 90%. The calculations involve using the efficiency formula, converting volume per second to volume per minute, and finally arriving at an answer of 1.8e10J for the potential energy produced by 1 cubic meter of water. The conversation also touches upon the complexity of the calculations and the simplicity of not worrying about speed.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A hydroelectric power station uses the water in a reservoir to power the generators. The water
falls through a vertical height of 150m to the turbines which power the generators.
The efficiency of the power station is 90% and the output power of the power station is
1800 MW.
The gravitational field strength is 10Nkg–1 and the density of water is 1000 kgm–3.
What volume of water passes through the turbines in one minute?
A. 6.48 ×10^4 m3
B. 7.20 ×10^4 m3
C. 8.00 ×10^4 m3
D. 6.48 ×10^7 m3
E. 7.20 ×10^7 m3
F. 8.00 ×10^7 m3
Relevant Equations
efficiency=useful output/tot input
Power=E/t
Kinetic energy=0.5mv^2
Density=m/v
I have found the input power through the efficiency formula, and I deducted that the input energy must derive only from water's kinetic energy... from which have mass/s and then finally the volume/s.
After all the calculations and having multiplied the volume/s by 60, I get the result of 6.48 x 10^10 m3 which isn't listed... what am I getting wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to be annoying they ask you for volume per minute !

hutchphd said:
Just to be annoying they ask you for volume per minute !
Yes sure, I forgot to mention... the result I wrote comes from multiplying my Volume per second by 60!

The dam converts the Potential Energy of a volume of water to electrical energy with an efficiency of 90%. What you say is correct but overcomplicated...one never need to worry about the speed explicitly.
So how much energy does one ##m^3## of water produce?

Likes greg_rack and Lnewqban
hutchphd said:
The dam converts the Potential Energy of a volume of water to electrical energy with an efficiency of 90%. What you say is correct but overcomplicated...one never need to worry about the speed explicitly.
So how much energy does one ##m^3## of water produce?
I have barely did it... I had made everything unnecessarily complex! :cry:

greg_rack said:
I have barely did it... I had made everything unnecessarily complex! :cry:
Did you find your answer?

Likes hutchphd
Lnewqban said:
Did you find your answer?
Yes I did, with potential energy

Likes hutchphd and Lnewqban

What is a hydroelectric power station?

A hydroelectric power station is a type of power plant that uses the energy of falling water to generate electricity. It typically involves a dam or reservoir to store water, and a turbine to convert the energy of the moving water into mechanical energy, which is then converted into electricity.

How efficient is a hydroelectric power station?

The efficiency of a hydroelectric power station can vary, but on average it is around 90%. This means that 90% of the energy from the falling water is converted into electricity, while the remaining 10% is lost due to factors such as friction and heat.

What factors affect the efficiency of a hydroelectric power station?

Several factors can impact the efficiency of a hydroelectric power station, including the design and size of the turbine, the water flow rate, and the height of the dam or reservoir. Maintenance and operation practices can also play a role in the overall efficiency of the power station.

How does a hydroelectric power station compare to other types of power plants in terms of efficiency?

Compared to other types of power plants, such as coal or natural gas plants, hydroelectric power stations are generally more efficient. This is because they do not rely on the combustion of fossil fuels, which can result in significant energy losses.

Can the efficiency of a hydroelectric power station be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a hydroelectric power station can be improved through upgrades and advancements in technology. For example, newer turbines and control systems can help to increase efficiency and reduce energy losses. Regular maintenance and proper operation can also help to optimize efficiency.