Efficiency, Loss....is there a more specific term?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in efficiency between direct and indirect heat. It is suggested that the term "relative efficiency" may be appropriate, as the original butane fire may not be 100% efficient and other factors such as ventilation should be considered as well.
popularscience
Suppose I heat a room directly by lighting a fire in the room, let's say it is a butane gas fire and it takes n BTU to raise the temperature by 10°C.

Now, suppose I don't like the smell of burning gas fumes and decide instead to move the same gas fire outside and boil water to generate steam to run a generator to produce electricity to power an electric heater in the same room and it takes 3n BTU to raise the temperature by 10°C.

Is there a technical term to descibe the 3 x BTU difference between direct heat and indirect heat in the above?

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

popularscience said:
Is there a technical term to descibe the 3 x BTU difference between direct heat and indirect heat in the above?

The word in your title; efficiency. I'm not sure what other word you are searching for.

Likes russ_watters
I think it would be best to call it something like the "relative efficiency" because the original butane fire isn't going to be 100% efficient.

I don't see a problem with using "efficiency" as long as you describe clearly what you are talking about. As said, it isn't necessarily straightforward. For this situation, there is a potential difference between total and sensible energy output (lower vs higher heating value), that may still make the efficiency of the fire in the room less than 100%. And if the system is properly vented so as not to violate code/kill anyone, the ventilation should be factored into the efficiency as well.

Related to Efficiency, Loss....is there a more specific term?

1. What is efficiency?

Efficiency is the measure of how well a system or process performs in achieving its intended goal or output. It is often expressed as a percentage, with 100% being the ideal level of efficiency.

2. How is efficiency calculated?

Efficiency is typically calculated by dividing the actual output by the expected or theoretical output, and then multiplying by 100. The resulting percentage is the efficiency of the system or process.

3. What is meant by loss in efficiency?

Loss in efficiency refers to the decrease in performance or output of a system or process compared to the expected or ideal level. It can be caused by various factors such as energy loss, friction, and human error.

4. How can efficiency be improved?

Efficiency can be improved by identifying and addressing the factors that contribute to its loss. This can include implementing more efficient technologies, reducing waste and downtime, and optimizing processes and operations.

5. Is there a more specific term for efficiency?

Yes, there are several more specific terms related to efficiency, such as energy efficiency, cost efficiency, and labor efficiency. These terms focus on different aspects of efficiency and can be used to further specify and measure the performance of a system or process.