Effects of Powerline Harmonics?

In summary: When you talk about SMPS noise, it is not at harmonics of the powerline frequency (50/60Hz). SMPS noise coupled back into the AC Mains powerline is at the switching frequency of the power supply and harmonics of that switching frequency.And power factor has a couple different contexts. When you have a very inductive load, like with AC motors, then yes, adding some capacitance can help to get the PF closer to the ideal number of 1.0. But again, that does not appear to be what your question is asking. Can you tell us how the PF is defined? What kind of load has a PF of 1.0? How can power
Eranda
What kind of effects that provides to the power lines due to the harmonics? Please consider those harmonics are generated through electronic equipments?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eranda said:
What kind of effects that provides to the power lines due to the harmonics? Please consider those harmonics are generated through electronic equipments?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PF.

I've moved your thread to the schoolwork forums for you. :smile:

Please tell us what you know so far. How does electronic equipment generate harmonics on the AC Mains powerline? Are you familiar with the concept of "Power Factor"?

Last edited:
Likes Eranda
@Eranda -- please send me a message when you are able to answer my questions above, and I will re-open this thread. :smile:

Likes Eranda
Yp. I'm familiar with the power factor. I found that harmonics are generated through electronic devices; mostly due to SMPS. That switching purpose generates harmonics since the supply is not continuously provided.
As you meant the power factor, some of the power factor correction capacitor banks cause to this harmonics. As far as I know the Impedance of the p.f correction capacitor is inversely proportional to the frequency & Impedance of the source is directly proportional to the frequency. If the p.f correction capacitor is not specifically designed for these conditions, harmonics generates.
Am I missing something here?

Eranda said:
Yp. I'm familiar with the power factor. I found that harmonics are generated through electronic devices; mostly due to SMPS. That switching purpose generates harmonics since the supply is not continuously provided.
As you meant the power factor, some of the power factor correction capacitor banks cause to this harmonics. As far as I know the Impedance of the p.f correction capacitor is inversely proportional to the frequency & Impedance of the source is directly proportional to the frequency. If the p.f correction capacitor is not specifically designed for these conditions, harmonics generates.
Am I missing something here?

Well, you are talking about three different things. When you talk about SMPS noise, it is not at harmonics of the powerline frequency (50/60Hz). SMPS noise coupled back into the AC Mains powerline is at the switching frequency of the power supply and harmonics of that switching frequency.

And power factor has a couple different contexts. When you have a very inductive load, like with AC motors, then yes, adding some capacitance can help to get the PF closer to the ideal number of 1.0. But again, that does not appear to be what your question is asking. Can you tell us how the PF is defined? What kind of load has a PF of 1.0? How can powerline harmonics (of 50/60Hz) be generated by a load? What kind of load generates those harmonics, and why?

Related to Effects of Powerline Harmonics?

What are powerline harmonics?

Powerline harmonics are high-frequency disturbances or variations in the normal sine wave of an alternating current (AC) power supply. These harmonics are caused by the presence of non-linear loads, such as electronic devices, on the power grid.

How do powerline harmonics affect electrical systems?

Powerline harmonics can cause a variety of issues in electrical systems, including increased energy consumption, reduced efficiency, and overheating of equipment. They can also lead to interference with sensitive electronic devices, such as computers and medical equipment.

What are the potential health effects of powerline harmonics?

There is currently no concrete evidence to suggest that powerline harmonics have direct negative effects on human health. However, some studies have shown a possible correlation between exposure to high levels of harmonics and symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.

How can powerline harmonics be reduced?

The most effective way to reduce powerline harmonics is to limit the use of non-linear loads and ensure proper grounding and shielding of electrical systems. Additionally, installing harmonic filters and using power factor correction devices can help mitigate the effects of harmonics.

Are there regulations in place to control powerline harmonics?

Yes, many countries have regulations in place to limit the amount of harmonics that can be introduced into the power grid. These regulations often include standards for equipment and limits on harmonic distortion levels. Compliance with these regulations is important for maintaining a stable and efficient power supply.